Jira Upgrade question

Mike July 26, 2017

I have a test system that I performed an in place upgrade from 6.4.8 to 7.0.11. Other than some issues with plugins it seems okay. So now I have a 7.0.11 system. Can I copy or migrate my production 6.4.8 database to this system and will Jira do whatever upgrades to the data to bring it to the 7.0.11 level?

Ultimately I want to go from 6.4.8 to the latest, 7.4.1. Should I go to 7.0 or 7.1 as the intermediate stop prior to 7.4.1? I've seen different answers?

Thanks,

Mike Oatsvall 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2017

You're high enough in versions that you can use much the same process each time.

You really do need to go from 6.4 to 6.13 before trying to go to 7.  6.4 is too low a version for the jump to 7 to work.  (That said, it might, but I wouldn't bet on it)

You should be able to stop JIRA, run the 6.13 installer and tell it "upgrade" and it will do the work for you.

Then once fully upgraded, the docs say you should go to 7.0 with the same process, and then 7.latest.

Mike July 27, 2017

Can you tell me where to find 6.13 download? The download page has the latest V7 stuff then 6.4 and older. I can't find the releases in the middle. In the meantime I'll continue to look on the site.

Thanks for your help Nic.

Mike

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2017

Sorry, I've completely misread this and typed completely the wrong things, several times.

I meant 6.4.13 - you can reliably upgrade from 6.4.13 just as safely as the advised level of 6.4.14.

You *might* be able to jump from your 6.4.8, but I can't quite recommend that - I'd test it a lot more than 6.4.13/14

Mike July 27, 2017

I did figure that out after a bit. I didn't think there was a 6.13, but who knows?? 

Maybe you know the answer to this question I know you can't upgrade a database by importing older XML files, but if I replace  the database with older database will Jira make whatever database/schemea changes at startup that are needed to match it with the runnning software. Or can that upgrade only happen by running the installer with the upgrade process? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 27, 2017

Older versions will happily do that, given the right information in the home directory (if it's off-the-shelf, you're probably fine!) but I've not tested it from 7.0 - I've only ever jumped to 7 by running the installer against 6.x

Mike July 27, 2017

Thanks again Nic. I appreciate the answers.

Regards,

Mike

Suggest an answer