Jira Upgrade from Jira 3.9.2 to Jira 4.4.5

Angelica Castillo July 25, 2013

I need to perform an upgrade from jira 3.9.2 to Jira 4.4.5, can I do it direct? or I have to do many Jira upgrades? How many and which versions please?

Do I need any script?

I'll be using sqlserver 2008

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2013

Script, no. But I would strongly recommend

1. Export the xml
  2. Set up Jira 3.13, in a new empty database (i.e. leave the old one untouched, so you can always go back)
  3. Import the xml into there (Jira will upgrade it)
  4. Set up Jira 4.4.5 and point it at the 3.13 database

Of course, do this in test first! That will tell you how easy (or not) this process is.

hello thanks for the reply, well I'm getting an error installing Jira 3.13,

the doc. of upgrade 3.13 recomended to run this script

ALTER DATABASE jiradb SET READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT ON

SELECT is_read_committed_snapshot_on FROM sys.databases WHERE name= 'jiradb'

I'm getting this error, that does not let me go forward.

Wrong Parameter Usage

C:\Users\isthmain-11\AppData\Local\Temp\i4_nlog_44

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2013

Ok, that's not a script, it's a database setting change - are you running that in the database?

I don't know where that error is coming from, it seems to be unrelated to Jira. Maybe if you stepped through what you're doing and told us the handful of steps before you get to that point.

1 vote
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2013

I believe you can upgrade straight to that version. Make sure you've generted your JIRA 4 license key as they key changed. You can see this in my.atlassian.com

The doc is pretty good in helping you through it https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+4.4+Upgrade+Notes

thanks for the reply, I'm using that documentation.

I'm getting this error instaling Jira 3.13:

Wrong Parameter Usage

C:\Users\isthmain-11\AppData\Local\Temp\i4_nlog_44

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2013

Apologies Colin, Angelica - I didn't suggest the direct route because I've tried it a few times and never had it work cleanly.

0 votes
Angelica Castillo July 26, 2013

Yes, I finally did the upgrade from Jira 3.9.2 to 4.4.5. I had to install the Jira 4.4.5 as a new Jira Instalation in an empty sql server data base, then use the option import data and use the backup that I made for Jira 3.9.2, I added the new license and It works.

Thanks for your help!

Suggest an answer