Jira Upgrade from Jira 3.9.2 to Jira 4.4.5

I need to perform an upgrade from jira 3.9.2 to Jira 4.4.5, can I do it direct? or I have to do many Jira upgrades? How many and which versions please?

Do I need any script?

I'll be using sqlserver 2008

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

Script, no. But I would strongly recommend

1. Export the xml
  2. Set up Jira 3.13, in a new empty database (i.e. leave the old one untouched, so you can always go back)
  3. Import the xml into there (Jira will upgrade it)
  4. Set up Jira 4.4.5 and point it at the 3.13 database

Of course, do this in test first! That will tell you how easy (or not) this process is.

hello thanks for the reply, well I'm getting an error installing Jira 3.13,

the doc. of upgrade 3.13 recomended to run this script

ALTER DATABASE jiradb SET READ_COMMITTED_SNAPSHOT ON

SELECT is_read_committed_snapshot_on FROM sys.databases WHERE name= 'jiradb'

I'm getting this error, that does not let me go forward.

Wrong Parameter Usage

C:\Users\isthmain-11\AppData\Local\Temp\i4_nlog_44

Ok, that's not a script, it's a database setting change - are you running that in the database?

I don't know where that error is coming from, it seems to be unrelated to Jira. Maybe if you stepped through what you're doing and told us the handful of steps before you get to that point.

1 vote
Colin Goudie Community Champion Jul 25, 2013

I believe you can upgrade straight to that version. Make sure you've generted your JIRA 4 license key as they key changed. You can see this in my.atlassian.com

The doc is pretty good in helping you through it https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+4.4+Upgrade+Notes

thanks for the reply, I'm using that documentation.

I'm getting this error instaling Jira 3.13:

Wrong Parameter Usage

C:\Users\isthmain-11\AppData\Local\Temp\i4_nlog_44

Apologies Colin, Angelica - I didn't suggest the direct route because I've tried it a few times and never had it work cleanly.

Yes, I finally did the upgrade from Jira 3.9.2 to 4.4.5. I had to install the Jira 4.4.5 as a new Jira Instalation in an empty sql server data base, then use the option import data and use the backup that I made for Jira 3.9.2, I added the new license and It works.

Thanks for your help!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

Meet the AUG leaders of Northern Virginia

@Rachel Wright (Jira Genie), @Billy Poggi (AUG NOVA, DC), and @Dana Jansen (Confluence Queen) are just some of the folks that lead one of the world's most active Atlassian User Group (AUG)....

146 views 5 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you