Jira Upgrade from 7.2.4 to 8.0

Bruce Caldwell November 12, 2019

We have recently been on 7.2.4 due to our SQL server being 2003.

We have now moved to SQL 2106 and I need to know if I can upgrade straight from 7.2.4 to V8.0 without stepping through various 7.XX upgrades. Checking 7.6 it only supports SQL 2012 and 2014, so I am a little confused on which versions to use in my upgrade path.

Any help gratefully received.

1 answer

1 vote
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2019

Hi @Bruce Caldwell , 

you can upgrade directly from 7.2.4 to Jira 8.5 for example, no need for intermediate upgrades. 

In your case, SQL Server 2003 is not supported so you will need to do the following :

Let me know if this helps, 

--Alexis 

Thanks Alexis, really useful.

Have a question though in that I have already moved the DB to SQL 2016 running on 7.2.4, so can I just run the upgrade to V8.5?

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2019

Yes . SQL 2016 is supported by JIRA .

So it doesn't matter if you run 7.2.4 or 8.5 on it - it anyway supports both.

It is same as doing the JIRA upgrade first and then upgrading DB - so no issues.

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2019

Hi @Bruce Caldwell , 

if you've already migrated the DB to SQL Server 2016, then you can just run the 8.5 upgrade then : no need to backup and re-import the data !

Brilliant, thanks for you help.

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2019

You're welcome ! Please remember to mark the answer as "Accepted" so that other users can find it later :)

Suggest an answer