Jira Update 4.4.3

Leander Brahmfeld November 21, 2011

Hello,

after an update to Jira 4.4.3 I've got the following errors on startup:

2011-11-22 18:28:42,727 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.ext.charting:firstresponsedate'. Is the plugin present and enabled?

2011-11-22 18:28:42,753 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:participants'. Is the plugin present and enabled?

2011-11-22 18:28:42,806 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.ext.charting:timeinstatus'. Is the plugin present and enabled?

I've found a similar error report here:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/JIRA+Starts+with+Error+Could+Not+Load+Custom+Field+Type+Plugin+with+Key+%27com.atlassian.jira.ext.charting%27

but the solution does not work for me.

The custom fields mentioned within the logs can still be used, but they do not work correctly any more.

Do you have any hints, what I can do now? (Besides the option to disable them.)

Thanks and best Regards

2 answers

0 votes
mahaao March 8, 2012

I also got errors similarly.

2012-03-09 07:56:41,824 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.ext.charting:firstresponsedate'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2012-03-09 07:56:41,829 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:dayslastcommented'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2012-03-09 07:56:41,983 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:reporterdomain'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2012-03-09 07:56:42,402 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:message'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2012-03-09 07:56:42,779 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:lastusercommented'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2012-03-09 07:56:43,350 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:message'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2012-03-09 07:56:43,366 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:multikeyfield'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2012-03-09 07:56:43,489 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:velocitymessage'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2012-03-09 07:56:43,494 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:comments'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2012-03-09 07:56:43,578 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:originalestimate'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2012-03-09 07:56:43,627 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:participants'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2012-03-09 07:56:45,240 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.ext.charting:timeinstatus'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2012-03-09 07:56:45,240 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.ext.charting:timeinstatus'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2012-03-09 07:56:45,334 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:userproperty'. Is the plugin present and enabled?
2012-03-09 07:56:45,627 main ERROR      [jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager] Could not load custom field type plugin with key 'com.atlassian.jira.toolkit:dayslastcommented'. Is the plugin present and enabled?

0 votes
Adam Saint-Prix
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2011

Not for nothing and not to frustrate you with a redundant answer but the logs usually never lie. I would double check that the plugin is actually installed, but as the error message says that it is also enabled. If you're getting those messages the system somehow can't find the toolkit and charting plugins, either the entire thing or specific modules. Based on the error message though it looks like specific modules might be disabled.

If you think they are installed and you think maybe they are enabled check again. :) For troubleshooting purposes, and so you can undeniably say I did this and I did that if you talk to support, just check again.

I wouldn't continue to use those fields until you solve the problem and get the errors in the logs to disappear though. Logs filed with errors are a problem waiting to happen. Get those sorted out.

One other thing worth checking is the logs to see whether or not those plugins show up in the list of enabled plugins. There's a laundry list of system information that appears after JIRA starts up that includes what plugins are installed. If you don't see those plugins in the list there's your answer. If you do see them, then it could be that a specific module is disabled in which case you should look at the plugin and its' modules to make sure the various modules related to those plugins are in fact enabled.

Here's what I'd look at to do that:

JIRA Charting: Date of First Response Module

Go to Administration>System>Plugins>Manage Existing>JIRA Charting Plugin>Manage Plugin Modules. You should see 16 of 16 modules enabled. Or however many, but they should all be enabled in the JIRA Charting plugin. If you see less than 16 modules enabled, that could be your issue. Look at the Date of First Reponse module and make sure it's enabled. If it isn't, try enabling it to see if that fixes that particular issue.

JIRA Charting Plugin: Time in Status Module

On the JIRA Charting plugin you also want to have a look at the Time in Status module and make sure that's enabled. That seems to be problematic as well.

JIRA Tool Kit: Participants Module

Same thing applies for the JIRA Toolkit's Participants module which seems to be having an issue according to your logs.

Administration>System>Plugins>Manage Existing>JIRA Toolkit Plugin>Manage Plugin Modules>Participants - make sure that's enabled.

One other thing you can try, if you have a test environment or some other environment where those plugins do work correctly, try comparing the two to see what might be different. Are the plugins installed? Are all the modules enabled? etc.

If none of that works, you can always file a support ticket and get some help from the folks at Atlassian - they will likely know best.

Leander Brahmfeld November 22, 2011

Thank you for your quick answer.

The plugins are installed and enabled. The only module, which is not enabled is the "Resolved Date" from the Toolkit plugin. But this seems to be correct, because of the message within the description: "DON'T use this plugin, JIRA 4.x has much more efficient system field".

Both Plugins are mentioned within the plugin list detected by jira.

I've also tried to reinstall the plugins. While these were removed, I had no error messages within the log. But afterwards they showed up again.

Right before the error logs, I've mentioned these log entries:

2011-11-23 11:01:54,313 main INFO      [atlassian.plugin.util.WaitUntil] Plugins that have yet to be enabled: [com.atlassian.gadgets.opensocial, com.atlassian.jira.gadgets, com.atlassian.streams.actions, com.atlassian.gadgets.directory, com.atlassian.gadgets.oauth.serviceprovider, com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira, com.atlassian.gadgets.embedded, com.atlassian.streams.streams-jira-plugin, com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard], 53 seconds remaining
2011-11-23 11:01:55,550 main INFO      [atlassian.plugin.util.WaitUntil] Plugins that have yet to be enabled: [com.atlassian.jira.gadgets, com.atlassian.streams.actions, com.atlassian.gadgets.directory, com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira, com.atlassian.streams.streams-jira-plugin, com.atlassian.gadgets.dashboard], 52 seconds remaining
2011-11-23 11:01:56,550 main INFO      [atlassian.plugin.util.WaitUntil] Plugins that have yet to be enabled: [com.pyxis.greenhopper.jira], 51 seconds remaining

The charting plugin and the toolkit plugin are not within this list. Could this be the problem?

Suggest an answer