Jira Sync between instances (add-on only in one side)

Jay Salvay January 16, 2018

Hi,

We have a Jira Clouding instance where we have a client project. This client is not participating on this project because they have their own Jira clouding instance and for some reason, they cannot allow us to participate in there instance(we only have 1 user access).

So, I'm wondering if there is any way to sync this particular project (on the client Jira clouding instance) to our Jira by installing some add-on or something kind of procedure that allow us to sync the client project into our instance.

The key point here is that almost all the sync add-ons I reviewed, they need to install the add-on on both instances. The issue is that I cannot ask to client to install this add-on, or much less ask them to pay for it

My question: is there any way I can sync this instance with some of semi-auto procedure or some add-on that only need to be installed on my Jira clouding instance?

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

1 vote
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2018

Hi Jay,

I am part of the product team of Backbone Issue Sync for Jira. My colleague just replied to you on a support ticket, but since you asked the question here, we also want to share the (possible) solution.

In the usual setup of an integration between two cloud instances, Backbone also requires the installation on both sides.
However, for Jira server to Jira server or Jira server to Jira cloud scenarios, it is possible to use Backbone with only installing it on one Jira (server) instance and get a remote endpoint license from us.

Unfortunately, you cannot use this in a cloud to cloud scenario, but you can use our cloud to cloud workaround solution for this and combine it with a remote endpoint license.

Cheers,
Matthias.

Jay Salvay January 17, 2018

Thank you Matthias! Right, we have cloud to cloud, so we are limited.

About your idea of using cloud to cloud workaround solution approach. Can you please specify a little bit more? (the link does not show any info). Thanks,

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2018

Of course. Let me explain it in some steps:

1. Install Backbone in your cloud instance.
  2. Setup a Jira server instance (10 user is enough) and install Backbone in it.
  3. Get a remote trial license from support@k15t.com and install it in the Jira server.
  4. Create a dummy project in the Jira server with the same project key as the project in your cloud instance which you want to integrate. The configuration for this project does not matter.
  5. Navigate to the Backbone UI (inside the project administration) of this dummy project and create an integration using your cloud instance as first instance base url and your partner's as second. Specify user credentials how Backbone can access your instance respectively your partner's instance.
  6. Configure the issue types, fields, comments, attachments sync as in a usual server to server scenario.

I hope these steps help. We can also show you a setup like this in a web session.

Thanks Mattias, is there anyway to test this before purchase?

Also, if you can show me the setup on a web session, would be good. Thanks!

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2018

Of course a web session and test is possible. We'll contact you via email.

If anyone else reads this and is interested, let us know via support@k15t.com.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 17, 2018

You might also want to take a look at ConnectAll.

It is a standalone application that is installed on any of your local server and configured to sync issues between 2 or more JIRAs and a number of other supported applications like HP QC, ServiceNow etc.

It should work fine for 2 cloud JIRA instances but you might want to request a demo and get a free trial to see it in action.

Thanks Jobin, I will take a look!

0 votes

Does anybody knows if there is a manual way to export/import or connect using some other method to update some particular issues from one clouding instance to other?

Suggest an answer