Jira Stop/Start Progress Buttoon

Micheal Shallop May 29, 2013

When I start progress on an issue, I am no longer being presented with the "stop progress" button in the display. Clicking the "in progress" button (a second time) adds an update to the case:

Micheal Shallop made changes - 7 minutes ago
Status In Progress [ 3 ] In Progress [ 3 ]

and the progress button continues to show as "In Progress"...

Did I dink some setting which is preventing the "Stop Progress" button from proc'ing?

I should also point-out that this particular issue is a sub-task for a container issue. Does the parent status (in-progress) affect the status of the sub-task?

Thanks!

--mike

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2013

Hi Micheal,

The "button" you are referring to is actually a transition in your workflow (which is taking you to the status of "In Progress"). It sounds like in your workflow, you have an outgoing transition from the status of "In Progress" that is looping back to itself. You'll need to check your workflow to ensure you have the "Stop Progress" transition you want (which I'm assuming you probably have mapped to the status of "Open"), and if it's there, check for any conditions associated with it.

Micheal Shallop May 30, 2013

OK - I see the problem now -- I was assuming that the workflow was the default as it was something I never touched when setting this up.

Recently we added greenhopper to our suite and I see that when the boss created this project, he must of modified the workflow as it's vastly different from the default.

Follow-up questions:

is there an option to snap this back to the default setting?
do I reset the workflow from JIRA or GreenHopper?

Thanks so much!

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2013

Thanks for accepting my answer! I got an email with a comment from you on this question, but it's since disappeared (you were asking about resetting the workflow to default, which would be the "jira" workflow). Did you figure it all out okay? :)

Micheal Shallop May 30, 2013

Yes, thank you. I reset the workflow to the default, for the project, using the admin rights, and now all is as it should be.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 30, 2013

Awesome! Have a great weekend. :)

0 votes
Chandrasekharrao Vayalapalli November 13, 2018

-

0 votes
Andrew Cohen October 21, 2015

Another potential problem can be: the task needs to be assigned to someone in order to Stop Progress on it.  I have had missing "Stop Progress" buttons because the issue got accidentally unassigned after progress had already started.  Assigning it back to the person makes the "Stop Progress" button come back.

Update: Also, it may have to be assigned to you, the current user, in order to see the Stop Progress button.  In our system I am allow to Start Progress on someone else's task, but apparently not Stop Progress.

Suggest an answer