Jira, Stash, Sprints and Pull Requests

Christopher Searle December 5, 2013

Is there away to create a pull request based upon a sprint, - We know all the issues that we have done during the sprint, then we just want to create a pull request to pull all the changes back into the main branch?

Thanks

Chris

2 answers

0 votes
cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2013

HI Christopher,

As Jobin as mentioned we don't support this at the moment.

Just out of curiosity is there any reason you're not creating a Pull Request per issue as you go. Generally this is the workflow we follow at Atlassian, and try to promote elsewhere. Otherwise your pull requests are going to contain multiple changes from different people and it will be hard for anyone to review/manage.

In fact, I'm curious where all the issues live in your repository? Are they on separate branches, or on a single branch? If the former then you're going to need multiple pull requests anyway. If the latter do normally you have one branch per sprint?

Cheers

Charles

Christopher Searle January 7, 2014

Sorry it has taken over a month to reply, it is more that we do a sprint, and then within that sprint we have lets say 20 issues, its at the end of the sprint that we want to integrate them all back into the master branch, - Therefore knowing which branches are associated with which issue would be helpful.... That wasy if we need to release a fix it should be fairly simple and nothing else would leave... I am probably just missing something as we have only really just started using GIT to its all fairly new to us!

cofarrell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2014

Hi Christopher,

In that case for each sprint I would create an associated branch (ie "sprint/123"). For each issue create a separate branch, do the work on that branch, create a pull request into that sprint and merge when it has been reviewed (or just merge manually if you don't do reviews). At the end of the sprint all the issues should have been merged and you can create a pull request from the sprint branch back into master. Easy. :)

One word of warning, the above will work fine until you start modifying master at the same time. At that point you're eventually to run into problem with merge conflicts, and it's going to suck because whoever has to merge the sprint branch will have to fix them somehow. If it is likely that work is being done on master in parallel to the sprint (although I suspect it won't) then I would recommend merging each issue branch directly to master. Just something to think about.

I hope that helps.

Charles

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 5, 2013

Not at the moment. Interesting requirement but this will work only if you have an issue created for every change you do. If that is the case, this would be a nice integration between JIRA Agile and Stash.

Suggest an answer