Jira Software Server ID Identical for Development Box

David L. Ledford, Jr. November 23, 2016

Just want to make sure I'm not violating any licensing rules or potentially running into any service issues.

Here is my scenario:

1. Installed JIRA and PostgreSQL on Server #1 and obtained an evaluation license. This is to be the eventual "production" box.
  2. Installed JIRA and PostgreSQL (using same downloaded server software) on Server # 2 and obtained a separate evaluation license. This is to be a "development" box.
  3. Took a JIRA xml backup / export of Server #1 and restored / imported it on Server # 2.
  4. Now I've obtained our actual production license that my company purchased. But oddly enough when I look at the Server ID on Server #1 and Server #2 they are identical. Is this because I imported the backup from Server #1 onto Server #2?  Does this cause any problems with licensing or any problems with applications referencing the correct  server??
  5. I found the documentation for changing the Server ID in the JIRA Knowledge Base. I guess my basic question is "How did both Servers wind up with the same Server ID and does it cause any potential problems?"

Any thoughts, advice, suggestions you may have for a "newbie" JIRA Admin is MUCH appreciated!!

Thanks!

David L. Ledford, Jr.

1 answer

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2016

Hi David,

Have a look at this KB article: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/changing-server-id-for-test-installations-285839562.html

You might also be better using a development license for your non-production instance: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-get-a-jira-developer-license-744526918.html

Sam

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2016

Ah. Just re-read your question - I guess the KB article I've linked is the one you've already seen.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 23, 2016

But I guess it sort of answers your "potential problems" question as it says:

Your production installation will not be directly affected if your test server has the same server ID as production. However, application links may be affected if you do not change the server ID. The separate server ID also helps the (Atlassian) support team to distinguish between your servers.

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 23, 2016

Also, I think you are right on the reason it is the same. It's copied across in the xml backup and restore (hinted at by the need to change when following this procedure for splitting instances).

According to How to create a fresh server-id for JIRA it's in the entities.xml file.

Sam

Suggest an answer