Jira - Sharing filter overview (share is one time or forever?)

Gavin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2021

Hi all,

I was wondering when you share a filter in jira does that mean that it's the shared user's filter now or if I update that shared filter their filter will automatically be updated also?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2021

You keep ownership of it, but other people can run it and get the results from it.

If you change the filter, then yes, you're changing what everyone gets (there's a single search behind the filter, not one for each user).  Other people can change it once they've run it, but they cannot save those changes to your filter, they can only save it as a new one that they own.

1 vote
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2021

Hi, @Gavin !

The second one - "if you update that shared filter their filter will automatically be updated also".

Look through this article - Saving and sharing your searches 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2021

Just to be clear (as my colleague has just misread this!) - Other people using your filter will see the changes you make, but it's not an "automatic update" - you're only changing one single object.  If people have made their own copies of your filter, they won't be affected either, their filters are separate objects.

Suggest an answer