Jira Service desk customers are created as users in jira-software group

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2019

We are trying to migrate data between 2 jira instances i.e, First one is having Jira Software and Jira Service desk on a single Jira core and the other one is just a Jira Service desk. So we are migrating all the project of Jira Service desk (2nd jira instance) to single Jira Application using Project Configurator for Jira plugin and doing export and import. But when the migration is completed everything looks and functions fine but the customers in Service desk projects are created as jira-sofware users.Can anyone help me out how to disable that configuration or any alternate method to stop creating them as new users in jira-software and consume license

Thanks,

Vishwas

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 22, 2019

Hi Vishwas,

I am admittedly, not as familiar with using the project configurator to do data migrations like this.  But I did find some documentation on their site about how this is handled.  Please see How Project Configurator Works: Specific Information for Some Object Types.

This section on users and groups has a few details such as:

When the plugin creates new users, they are created in the first writable directory

So this is important because I'd want to know for the destination instance, is this the Jira internal user directory, or do you have some other user directory like Crowd, LDAP, delegated LDAP, etc here?

The other aspect to consider is about groups created during the import:

Groups "jira-users" and "jira-administrators" have a special system-wide meaning. Removing users from these groups, may cause problems in Jira (for example, users unable to login). In order to avoid these problems, the plugin will never remove users or child groups from these groups. This means that the members of these groups after the load can be a superset of the members defined in the XML configuration file. The same protection applies to the groups that control application access: "jira-core-users", "jira-software-users" and "jira-servicedesk-users". On the other hand, for the rest of groups the members after the load will always be the same as those defined in the XML file.

So to be able to understand if this behavior is expected or not, it would help to see the Application Access settings for each Jira site.  You can do this by going to Cog Icon -> Applications -> Application access.  Here we can see the group or groups here that grant application access.  By default jira-software-users does grant access to use Jira Software, but it's possible this is configured differently between the systems and there might be a different group name in one or both.  

I could see a scenario where some user directories in Jira, like a delegated LDAP (aka Internal with LDAP authentication) can grant users a default group membership upon their first login.   If that was setup inadvertently in the source system, and then application access was changed to use a different group name, then I can see why this might be happening in the destination site.   However aside from that specific case, I can't think of any other way this would be happening incorrectly.

Can you confirm that these same users from the source site do or do not have group membership to the group named 'jira-software-users'?

Cheers,

Andy

Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2019

@Andy Heinzer 

We are using internal jira directory only and and in the source site these users do not have 'jira-software-users' group membership.

After I migrate data then these customers are getting added to 'jira-software-users'.

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2019

Hi,

I would recommend reaching out directly to Adaptavist's support portal with this concern.  I'm not well versed enough in the actions of this plugin to be able to help further. Sorry.   You can create a support ticket with them in

https://productsupport.adaptavist.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/37

I would be interested to see if perhaps after that case has been resolved if you can share with us here in this thread the steps taken to work past this problem.  Perhaps this way we can share the information to help others that might have this same problem.

Andy

Suggest an answer