Jira Service Desk: participants not added from email, when email is coming through Exchange mail group

Tanja Turunen June 3, 2016

Hi,

I am setting JSD and tested email notifications. In a case in which I send email straight to email address we define in JSD, people in CC-field of email are nicely added to participants.

However, whenever I send the same email to an address which is in same email group as our JSD address, CCs are not added as participants in the issue. 

Is this bug or can you explain to me why they are not added? This is crucial feature for our service desk!

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 3, 2016

That's correct behaviour, if I understand it correctly.  JSD doesn't and can't know who else is in an email distribution list, so it can't add them.

Tanja Turunen June 5, 2016

Correct, but we don't want to add people from the distribution list to the participants. We only want to add people in "CC"-field of that email as participants, that should work, right?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 5, 2016

It should include cc users, yes.

I'm afraid I don't quite understand what you are actually doing in your question though - it sounded like you wanted the users to come from the distribution list.  Could you explain exactly what the difference is between the emails that work and fail?  Exactly who do you send the two emails to?

Tanja Turunen June 5, 2016

Okey, so these are the two scenarios:

1) JIRA service desk email address is: X@company.com. Client Y sends email to that address and has have one person ( who is added to JSD customers list already) in CC, person called Z.

-> New ticket in JSD is created, reporter == Y, Participants == Z

This is working fine, but following is not:

2) Since we must have multiple email addresses (because of different customers) that all create tickets in same JSD project, we have email address X_2@company.com given to a one customer group. Address X_2@company.com belongs to same email group as X@company.com, which is our JSD address - meaning that whenever customer sends similar email as in scenario 1 to X_2@company.com, it is also received by X@company.com and therefore creates new ticket in JSD. At the moment it looks like this:

--> New ticket in JSD is created, reporter == Y, Participants missing. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 9, 2016

Ok, that's cleared it up.

The problem is simple - "Address X_2@company.com belongs to same email group as X@company.com,".  It doesn't matter about the email group, that's not of any use because it is not the cc in the email address.  It's a group which JIRA has no knowledge of, and, even if it did, there's no information on the actual email anyway, so it can't do anything with it.

You'll need to set something up on your email servers to parse and include the group members in the email it forwards to JIRA.

Suggest an answer