Jira Service Desk - Publishing problem after re-assigning issue type.

Rodrigo Sandrini October 29, 2017

Gents,

In an attempt to assign an issue type with a different workflow, I am posed with a problematic step in publishing the change where I need to associate statuses.

This is what happens: I am asked to associate new statuses to issue types that are not even part of the issue type scheme I am using. There are some issue types that are being used by JIRA in order projects and schemes, but not in My Service Desk Project. Although I see o (zero) issues depending on the re-association, I still have to go and pick new status for a very long list of issue types. That does not happen with other workflow re-assignments I do. This is puzzling me as I am afraid this is effectively affecting those issue types in other projects.photo1.png

For example, Questionnaire, Portfolio Rebalancing, Wire Request SMS...Those issue types are not at all part of my issue type scheme.

I am clueless. Yelp!

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2017

It's a known annoyance or design failure in the "move" process.  The screen lists all the potentially affected status no matter what, if there's might be a change needed.

You can completely ignore any line that says "0 issues affected".   You will do no damage if you let them all "migrate" to the defaulted value, as no issues will be affected.

Just be very careful to check for all the non-zero results.

Paul Stephens October 30, 2017

Even when they're all 0 - it's a scary screen!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 30, 2017

Yes, I totally agree, especially as the 0s are in small, weaker contrasting boxes, so it's easy to miss a non-zero when you're checking a list of 70 or so issue types.

0 votes
Rodrigo Sandrini October 30, 2017

Yep, you were right. Clicking "associate" didn't kill my prod system...lol.

I wasn't happy with not knowing and researched, researched, then I finally researched.

Here's the answer: every issue type one is not using on a project will still get assigned by default to a workflow in your project as part of a group containing "all non assigned issue types" and precisely the workflow I was trying to replace hence the reason why i saw that during Publishing.

--------

I tend to question JIRA more because it allows me to create custom field with the same display name of another one, which effectively broke another project some time ago. Obviously, someone was probably calling the display name of a field in code, but it was no excuse of JIRA forallowing me to do this in the system. 

------

Anyway, appreciate the quick responses. Thank you for jumping in to help so quickly.

;)

Suggest an answer