Jira Service Desk Projects

John Wood February 27, 2018

Hi all, I'm hoping I can get some pointers as we set up Service Desk.

We have set up with separate service desk projects for Change, Incident and Problem, for a few reasons, the main two being:

1) Separately they have different codes, so we can know immediately when talking about them we know just from the name whether it is an incident/problem/change - ie if you say "it is INC-63" you know it is an incident just from the code and don't need to load it to check

2) Ownership - we would like the incident owner to own incident, problem owner to own problem etc - if they are all in one project then as far as I know you can only have the single project owner

There are other minor reasons but they are the main two.

So, we have been speaking to a vendor (that I won't name on here) who has told us that this is wrong...but there is a strong suspicion they are basically touting for business (see next paragraph).  They claim that it causes reporting and data issues, and issues with linking issues together if they are split between projects. 

However I have it set up at home with individual projects and have never had any problems doing any reporting between projects - and the claimed issues linking is why I am thinking this is an attempt to drive business to them since this is pretty core functionality within Jira and we have never had any problems linking issues in the past when we were only using Jira not service desk.

Finally, the above may be a little moot depending on another question - is the "maximum 50 queues visible" thing still an issue?  If it is the above is kind of irrelevant as the size of our installation is going to require something in the area of 30 queues per area.

1 answer

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2018

John,

Usually when you increase the number of projects you also increase the complexity of your jira instance.

There's no unique correct way to implement Jira as it can be done in multiple ways depending on your context.

By looking at your conditions i can tell you that this can be implemented in one project without a problem:

1. if it's not sufficient to use the request type field to identify every line of service, you can create a script customer field with a value per line.

2. you can model ownership using components, component leads and automation rules to add the correct components to every issue

that's my 100 mile view of your situaction, in reality it will be more complex for sure

hope it helps

Suggest an answer