Jira Service Desk: Mandatory custom field should not be displayed on customer portal screen [ only to be displayed in internal SD screens ]

Rejo Thomas January 3, 2017

I have a custom field that i need to be displayed on the JIRA service desk screens and should be mandatory.

BUT I dont want this field to be displayed in the customer portal screens [ for each of the request types]

Currently if i make the field as 'Required' [ via the field configuration screen] then it will appear on the customer portal request type screens by default (the field is linked to the issuetype associated with the specific Request Type)

i made the field optional. then removed it from all the portal screens and when i made the field mandatory again the field reappears on the portal screens.

I only want the field to be mandatory for the internal SD screens.

Is there some logic i am missing or is this how SD is designed?

Is there any other way of achieving the objective  ( i.e. to have it mandatory for SD agent users and make it not displayed on the customer portal screens) ?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2017

I'm afraid your basic requirement is nonsense because you're saying "I want to have a field that is optional, but mandatory, at the same time".   There are three things you could end up with in theory: An optional field, not on the portal, a mandatory field that is on the portal, or a mandatory field that's not on the portal so the user can never actually create a request.  JSD is simply stopping you from breaking the portal.

Later though, your requirement becomes sensible.  An optional field for users won't block creation if it's not on the screen.  To make it mandatory for agents is possible, but you need to think about where it becomes mandatory - I'd say it should happen only when an agent starts to do something with a request - i.e. moves it through the workflow.  That's easy because you can now put a "validator" on the transitions that says "field must be filled before you can make this transition".  It won't stop the agent editing the request and leaving it blank, but it will force them to fill it in to make any progress.

Rejo Thomas January 8, 2017

Hi Nic,

I thought JIRA differentiated fields from agent / client perspective. 

My requirement was that 'SLA Level' field should be enforced for the Agents in the SD to enter but our customers don't need to see the field on their screens/forms as they don't have this information

I found that if i made it mandatory then the customer screens would get the field displayed too. I could Hide it on client screens but then i would have to provide a default value. Hence I was to trying find out if there was way to make it mandatory for agents alone but not mandatory for the clients. Other wise if i want a field entered by my service staff but not view-able by my clients, how do i  implement this? Yes i know logically this doesn't make sense..... unless you look at it from agent and client Perspective

I have now implemented this using the validator for 'field not empty' validation for 'SLA Level' on the appropriate workflow transition. While this is not very elegant it achieves the objective.

Thank you very much  for confirming this is not the case and pointing me in the right direction.

Suggest an answer