Jira Service Desk (Cloud) Segmented KB with Groups

Timothy Harris September 11, 2017

So I have a use case where we want to segment a KB space for customers. So customer A can see KB articles specifically for them but cannot see KB articles for other customers.

I got this working through the use of groups on a server instance.

Basically, I created one big service-desk-customer group. I created a group for each customer and added all customers to their respective groups. I added all the customer groups to the service-desk-customers group. Nested groups.

I Applied the service-desk-customers group as customers on the one and only Service Desk project.

I set jira to serve these groups to Confluence as a user directory.

NOTE: None of these groups were part of standard space or confluence permissions. So they do not count towards Confluence Licenses. No site or Space permissions. I only gave Unlicensed Access in global user permissions.

The customers should not cost a Confluence license.

I create a KB space in Confluence.

I create a customer root page for each customer. I have restricted, view, the customer root pages, and thus child pages, to the specific customer group.

This seems to work well. The customers are only proposed and can see KB articles from the KB space where the group they are in has view permissions.

The Problems
I can't seem to add "Portal only Customers" to groups in the cloud instance?

It doesn't look like cloud supports nested groups?

Does anyone know if it ispossible to create this type of setup in a cloud instance?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 12, 2017

Hi Timothy,

If you have not already voted on ID-167 please do so.  Add your use case to the comment section to add impact and you'll be automatically notified of any updates to that ticket.

Cheers,

Branden

Timothy Harris September 15, 2017

Hi Branden,

I have voted on the issue. Won't solve the problem of being able to add service desk customers to groups for segmenting the KB space though. Seems that is not possible on cloud instance.

Seems to work fine on server though. So moving to server is an option.

As long as Atlassian doesn't REMOVE the possibility to add service desk customers to groups in Jira that is. Please tell me you have no plans to do this!

Suggest an answer