Jira Server sizing

Andreas Langwaldt November 21, 2016

I am new to JIRA and have to szie a Server for our production environment.

In the final configuration we will have about 500 JIRA user.

According the system requirements I am going to size my server as follows:

• Hypervisor: Microsoft HyperV
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2014
  • 2 x CPU XEON 3.00 GHz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Disk Partitioning: C:\ System - 60 GB; D:\ Other Data - 100 GB; E:\ SQL Database - 250 GB

Is this configuration ok or did a miss important things?

Thank you and best Regards

Christian

1 answer

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2016

Hi Christian Majewski

The first thing to say is that there are so many different configurations out there that a single one-size fits all approach is never going to work. 

Atlassian provide the guidance on sizing at https://confluence.atlassian.com/enterprise/jira-sizing-guide-461504623.html but you should also consider the key factors on how your usage profile is going to look.

The following are not an exhaustive list but give you indications of some of the challenges that can occur if you do not carefully consider you user profile.

• Extensive use of JIRA Software in particular large number of items in Agile boards
  • Large attachments can easily use up your data storage
  • Which plugins are to be used these can impact the memory usage considerably
  • How many of the 500 users will be actively using the system at any point in time. 500 occasional users spread across 24 hours is a very different profile to 500 constant users all active within a 9-5 office hours period
  • Custom fields can have a large impact on both the database usage and also memory and so you should consider these carefully too.

I hope this has given you a few pointers to help with making your decision but my strongest suggestion is that as you are implementing this in a VM I would make sure that I had robust monitoring in place to warn me of any challenges before they become big problems so that you can expand the capacity as required.

I am sure others will also contribute to this thread with their experiences and I wish you all the best with your JIRA install.

Andreas Langwaldt November 22, 2016

Hello Phill,

thank you very much for the detailled answer.

We will start with much less than 500 users and I assume that the mid-scale configuration in the sizing guide is sufficient for the first time.

As you mentioned, we can expand capacity when needed.

Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2016

Hi Christian,

It would be good to hear from your experience of implementing and whether you needed to adjust any settings. 

If you could accept my answer as well it will help others who ask similar questions to find the response.

Thanks for the feedback

Andreas Langwaldt December 14, 2016

Hi Phil,

thank you again for your post.

We are just still before the installation with the server configuration of my first post above.

I will post my experiences asap.

Best Regards

Christian

Suggest an answer