Jira Server REST API to get all groups

turbothq October 30, 2017

Hi,

We are using Jira to manage users and groups for Bitbucket and Bamboo and as a result have a potentially very large number of groups.

In order to find groups in Jira, we are using this API: https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/server/#api/2/groups.

This appears to be quite UI-centric, given the resource is "/rest/api/2/groups/picker" and the description is "This is mainly for use with the group picker, so the returned groups contain html to be used as picker suggestions".

Please can you confirm if there is another API that is meant for consumption from other applications? If there isn't, given that Jira allow groups to be managed centrally for other applications and those other applications have REST APIs to manage permissions using the replicated Jira groups, we feel there should be a robust API around groups in Jira?

I wouldn't mind if this API was paged like a lot of other Atlassian APIs, but crucially there should be a single API for me to hit to retrieve either all groups, or groups that match a filter - and that should either contain the complete response, or be paged and give me page information in the response in order to fetch the remaining ones.

If this API doesn't exist, please can you let me know how we can get this added as it's important for us to have this.

Thanks,
Mike.

2 answers

2 votes
Dave Menconi January 6, 2023

This is quite an old answer but not entirely irrelevant, I think. 

I was able to pull 263 groups using this endpoint. The endpoints have an HTML field but they also have a "name" field which is as much as you can hope for. 

/rest/api/2/groups/picker?maxResults=500

Armed with this list of groups you can use other endpoints to get information ABOUT those groups (for example the users in a group with rest/api/2/group/member?groupname=<groupname>)

1 vote
turbothq October 30, 2017

I do see this mentioned in the REST API docs:

The number of groups returned is limited by the system property "jira.ajax.autocomplete.limit"

However, as mentioned before this all seems very UI-centric and not really intended for consumption by other apps, which we definitely need given Jira can be a central source for the Atlassian stack.

Suggest an answer