Jira ScriptRunner - How to make a Pick List Scripted Field

Hello Community,

I am trying to develop a Scripted Field in Jira.

My requirement is a Scripted Field that returns in a pick list format the issue key's of all the issues of type Epic.

For example:
I have 5 Epics: PT-2, PT-3, PT-6, PT-7. and PT-10.

I want the scripted field to be a pick list with the keys of such issues.

Has anyone attempted to do this before that could provide me with some insight into this.

Any help is appreciated!

-Roberto

1 answer

1 vote
Steven Behnke Community Champion Nov 02, 2017

You cannot do this with a script field. Script fields are READ ONLY and do NOT SHOW UP on Edit / Action screens. Period. Ever.

Please read up on Behaviors and how you can accomplish this: https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/4.3.1/jira/behaviours-conversions.html

@Steven Behnke,

I read the link about Behaviors and that seems like it could be a solution.

May I ask you a question though, what I ultimately want to do is use the scripted field in a dashboard as a dynamic filter.

I have this issue that in one of my Jira Dashboards I want to filter down by a specific attribute (the key of an issue type) that isn't a field in Jira. 

I tried to fix this by making static filters from JQL queries and that worked but now I have a lot of keys to filter on and making a static filter for each one isn't feasible.

To solve that issues my idea was to use a scripted field that would return a list of keys for certain issues that I retrieved via JQL query. Since I know now that script fields are read only and can not be selected. What would you recommend I do for such problem I am facing.

Thank you!!

-Roberto

Steven Behnke Community Champion Nov 02, 2017

Can you give me an example? I'm having a hard time following the example.

@Steven Behnke,

I have an issue type called Planview, In Jira I have 5 Planviews in existence:

Planview-1, Planview -2,... Planview-5.

My Jira issue hierarchy goes Planview > Epic > Story > Subtask. Therefore a specific Planview will have quite alot of children underneath it.

I have a dashboard that shows the overview of Jira, all the issues, its hierarchies, etc.

As I mentioned before my dashboard works perfectly, with the only issue being that I have way too many static filters to filter down what is under every Planview.

Below is the code I use to display everything under a specific Planview. I grab the Epics, Stories, and subtasks underneath a specific Planview when filtered down.

issueFunction in linkedIssuesOf("issuetype = Epic AND 'Parent Link' = PLANVIEW-1", "is epic of") OR issueFunction in  subtasksOf("filter = 'PLANVIEW-1 Filter'") OR issueFunction in epicsOf("filter = 'PLANVIEW-1 Filter'") OR issueFunction in portfolioParentsOf("issuetype = Epic AND 'Parent Link' = PLANVIEW-1")

Like I said I, currently have 5 Planviews and in the future it will grow to the 100's. When that happens making a static filter for each Planview number wont be feasible.

I want to know if there is a way to create a pick list of sorts where I can add the JQL for every Planview and when I click on it a drop-down displays with all the available options.

I had heard that a Scripted Field could be used, but that is all that I had heard. 

I hope that makes more sense.

Thank you Steven!!

-Roberto

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

465 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you