Jira Roadmap Start, End, Work Estimation map to fields and duration take Est into consideration

Linda Chang January 11, 2022

My teams are getting start to use Jira Roadmap.  I believe we have premium since I can select multiple projects to be on my Roadmap Plan.

My roadmap issues will be worked on  by Engineers and I want to find out the interactions possible when end users edit on the Jira Issues directly.  So, I want to know these 3 fields mapping to the actual Jira Issue.

From Config I can tell, Start and End are configurations that we can set which date fields options we want.  The 3rd key field I cannot find is how about the Work estimation, which field is that.  So, I assume there is some place allow Engineer to define the work estimation whether in days or story points that can convert to some time schedule?  Then field will feed into Roadmap auto-scheduling that the duration has to be > than the effort estimation.

What we are planning, Engineers will estimate the effort, and the Managers will make sure at least one of the start, dependencies/order, or due date is set and let Roadmap scheduling feature to help with our schedule planning.

the missing part we have is where (which field) to set the work estimation?  And if there is configuration mapping of that in Roadmap the duration would be considrer/mapped to this "effort estimation" field in Jira issue?

1/12/22:  Additional findings & Q:  Found on the community and internet, folks are leveraging the Estimation field to do effort estimation and "Time Spent"  on what were spent.  What we are checking if in JIRA Roadmap, it would put those info ("Effort Estimation") into consideration  so the duration is at least the "Estimation" number set by the engineers.  If there are some configuration or mapping to be done.  Confirm if is indeed this "Estimation" field and if "Time Spent"  would also be considered.

0 answers

Suggest an answer