Jira: Restrict the bulk edit of a particular field

Dan Mihalache February 25, 2013

Hello,

Does anybody know if in Jira it's possible to restrict the bulk edit of a particular field for a particular project? For instance, can i prevent people from bulk editing the priority?

In our case, in some implementations, we have fields that are supposed to be modified only during certain transitions and not via Edit. Or, some fields are modified programatically only (integration with other systems) and not via Edit. In order to accomplish this, these fields are added to the View screen (and maybe some screens displayed in transitions) and not to the Edit screen. We are pretty happy with this, the field is displayed, it can be modified and we control when and how it's modified. The problem is that via bulk edit, you can modify anything, anytime. It seems that the bulk edit is not at all based on the Edit screen as it would have been normal.

Does anyone know how the bulk edit of a field for a project could be prevented but without completely disabling the field?

Thank you.

Dan

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dan Mihalache May 28, 2013

Unfortunately i've got to the conclusion that the bulk edit does not take into account the configuration done in the Edit screen. From my point of view this behaviour is not consistent with the other types of edit (normal edit of an issue, inline edit, etc) that don't allow you to edit a field if that field is not part of the edit screen.

I've inserted an issue for this. If you too believe that this behaviour is wrong, please vote it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-31772

Thanks

0 votes
Dan Mihalache May 28, 2013

Unfortunately i've got to the conclusion that the bulk edit does not take into account the configuration done in the Edit screen. From my point of view this behaviour is not consistent with the other types of edit (normal edit of an issue, inline edit, etc) that don't allow you to edit a field if that field is not part of the edit screen.

I've inserted an issue for this. If you too believe that this behaviour is wrong, please vote it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-31772

Thanks

Suggest an answer