Jira Rest API - Get User information JSON response

Roberto L
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 13, 2017

Hello Community,

I have run into an issue with the User Rest API provided by Jira.

I can succesfully fetch the information related to any user and visualize it in JSON format. I utilize the following API call:

<Jira Base URL>/rest/api/2/user?username=jiraUserName

This returns me all the information pertaining to a user, including the groups the user is in as well as the applicationRoles associated with said user.

For somereason the last two fields I mention need to be expanded. 

They show up as following before being expanded:

"groups":{"size":3,"items":[]},"applicationRoles":{"size":1,"items":[]},"expand":"groups,applicationRoles"

They show up as follows after being expanded with the new url:  

<Jira Base URL>/rest/api/2/user?username=jiraUserName&expand=group,applicationRoles.

"groups":{"size":3,"items":[{"name":"jira-administrators","self":"<Jira Base URL>/rest/api/2/group?groupname=jira-administrators"},{"name":"jira-infosec","self":"<Jira Base URL>/rest/api/2/group?groupname=jira-infosec"},{"name":"jira-users","self":"<Jira Base URL>/rest/api/2/group?groupname=jira-users"}]},"applicationRoles":{"size":1,"items":[{"key":"jira-software","name":"JIRA Software"}]},"expand":"groups,applicationRoles"

Regardless of when I expand or not, when I try to fetch the JSON data returned from the API by going "data.groups" I am returned with "undefined", where data is all the data returned by the API.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to fetch the data inside "groups" and "applicationRoles".

-Roberto

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 14, 2017

So, are you trying to get all members of the group by expanding it? If so try the "/rest/api/2/group" or "/rest/api/2/group/members" resource, depending on your version.

Suggest an answer