Jira Project Specific Field - limit to number of values?

Joe Mallon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2014

Is there a limit to the number of values the Project Specific Field can have before it stops working as a tab on the Project page? I have a field that has more than 900 values for a project and more than 1100 for 2 other projects. Clicking the Project Specific tab on the project page for those projects results in a timeout error.

Jira: 6.2.6
Project Specific Fields plugin: 2.0.4

2 answers

0 votes
Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2014
I am currently preparing a release with dropped statistics for custom fields with above 50 option values to adress the time out issue. (Soryy for waiting for this release, but its vacation time...) Concerning sorting, can we continue discussion at https://bitbucket.org/hski/projectspecificselectfield-public/issue/33/allow-sorting-of-values-on-the-projectas this is a similar feature tequest? Best regards, Holger
Joe Mallon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 18, 2014

When will that release be ready?

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2014

I have released a new version 2.0.5 fixing this time out problem. Statistics for the Project Specific tab are created now only for custom fields with less than 50 option values.

Joe Mallon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2014

Is there a way to change an existing value in a field from within the Jira UI?

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2014
This can be done by a JIRA admin via regular custon field configuration, where the JIRA admin can add, delete, edit and sort option values. For giving this capability of editing option values to project admins, please comment and follow this feature request https://bitbucket.org/hski/projectspecificselectfield-public/issue/30/allow-editing-of-values-for-project-admins
Joe Mallon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 25, 2014

So there is no UI-based way to chagne the value of a project-specific field option unless each project has its own configuration scheme? I did not create a field configuration scheme for each project, as I have 85 projects and each needs its own set of values. This is a major oversight.

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2014
Sorry, this is a missunderstanding. You don't need a field configuration scheme per project. You just need one custom field context per project. https://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=185729468
Joe Mallon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2014

Ah. I understand now. I have created a context for a field and a project, but do not see the values already created for that field in that project.

Note that the field was created before we upgraded to the latest version of the plugin.

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2014
You started with version 1.x? And you are now working with 2.x, right? What type are your custom fields? Project Specific Select Field, Project Specific Multi Select Field or Project Specific Select Field (simple)?
Joe Mallon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 26, 2014

The field predates the 2.x update, so I believe it is Select Field (simple).

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 27, 2014

Sorry, all what I was saying about changing option values via JIRA admin UI is only valid for Project Specific Select Field and Project Specific Multi Select Field. For Project Specific Select Field (simple) you as a project admin have to create a new option value, change corresponding issues via bulk change to this new value and then disable the old value. There is no direct edit available.

In general Project Specific Select Field and Project Specific Multi Select Field have many advantages (see https://bitbucket.org/hski/projectspecificselectfield-public/wiki/Home with section about Deprecated Custom Field Type). You should think about migration from Project Specific Select Field (simple) to Project Specific Select Field resp. Project Specific Multi Select Fiel. But I must say, that currently there is no real support for this, then just creating a new custom field by hand and then migrate via bulk change. Another customer requested a migration tool or at least some REST API to do this via scripting, but implementation is tricky for this. Please comment and vote there if interesting for you.

Best regards
Holger

Joe Mallon
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2014

The current version does not fix this bug. The tab still times out.

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2014

May I ask how many Project Specific custom fields you have?

Joe Mallon
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2014

Only a few fields, but in the affected projects, one of the fields has 800-1000 values.

Joe Mallon
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 30, 2014

This was the original problem described in this report.

0 votes
Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2014

I was not aware, that there a custom fields used with this amount of option values. The tab runs into a timeout error, because for the custom field statistics (bar chart) a count of issues is done for each option value. That means a lot of JQL queries. And also the HTML page itself gets big.

How about restricting this custom field statistics to first 50 option values? Or drop the creation of the count and bar chart for a custom field with more that 50 values?

What would you prefer?

Cheers,
Holger

Joe Mallon
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 30, 2014

The second option is fine for me - drop the chart if there are more than 50 values.

Joe Mallon
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 31, 2014

An additional question - is there a way to force the values in the field to be sorted alphabetically?

Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2014

You mean not only in the Project Specific tab, but also in issue create and edit?

Joe Mallon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 6, 2014

There should be an option to have them sorted alphabetically that affects all contexts

Suggest an answer