Jira Portfolio is forecasting sprints with random names/numbers

Jenny Miller September 21, 2017

I'm setting up portfolio for roadmapping/planning and noticed that in the timeline when you display the "Sprint view" it creates future sprints, as if to represent the time, that are not necessarily created on any project or a board anywhere. The name/number it assigned doesn't line up with anything logical. 

Here's my scenario: 

I have a small team that collectively all works together on three "projects" (product lines in our company) but since we're just one team I merge these into a single "Sprint Board" and the sprints are simply numbered. Today we're in Sprint 12, next will be 13, and we just completed 11 (obviously) I have sprint 13 planned but not 14, 15 and so on just yet. However portfolio shows that the next sprints upcoming after  the one I have planned are "Sprint 3" and "Sprint 4" - see the screen shot. Where are these coming from? Why can't they assume the proper naming pattern?Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 9.38.45 AM.png

1 answer

0 votes
Allard van Helbergen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2017

Hi @Jenny Miller,

Portfolio for Jira pulls in the sprint names from boards the teams are assigned to, and then numbers future sprints sequentially, by simply counting the number of sprints since the start of the plan.

As you mention, Sprint 12 and 13 are created on the board. Those are the first two sprints. Portfolio needs to construct a placeholder future sprint to plan things into, and it names it sprint 3 (and then 4, and so on). 

If you would like to name the future sprints, then you can create them on the board, but leave them empty. 

I hope that explains it. 

Cheers,
Allard

Suggest an answer