Jira Portfolio Issue Importing Questions

Amanda Cichon April 15, 2015

I am new to JIRA Portfolio, but have worked with JIRA/ Green Hopper for some time now.  I have a couple of questions: 

1.) When I import issues from JIRA into JIRA Portfolio, most come through just fine but it seems that several Epics are not imported in for some reason.  I have validated the filter that I am running the import does in fact show the epics, but for some reason they are not in Portfolio.  Any ideas why?

2.) Some how as I am flagging epics as a specific Theme/ Initiative something triggers the epic name to change and it is replaced with the text in the description.  This then modifies the epic in the JIRA project as well.  What is causing this and how do I avoid it?

3.) Is there a way while importing to set a default theme, initiative or assigned team? 

7 answers

0 votes
Fawad Haq December 9, 2015

My issue was resolved by upgrading to 7.0.  I don't know what version you are at but may consider upgrading.  

0 votes
Fawad Haq December 3, 2015

I have the same issue as number one, is this a Portfolio bug, any updates on this issue. 

0 votes
Shilpi Mittal May 28, 2015

Hey @Martin Suntinger,

Regarding the 1) problem reported by @Amanda Cichon, I ran into the same problem where I created a filter for all the issues(Epics & stories) that I wanted to import into my JIRA portfolio. I used that filter to import all the issues, but more than half of my Epics were not imported. I had a total of 304 Epics, but only 122 epics were imported. 

When I toggled the 'Completed Issues' option, I displayed 44 issues and they were also in 'Inprogress', etc status. I don't see the Epic that were marked 'Closed' or 'Delivered'. I was hoping to see those ones when I toggled the 'Completed Issues' option. I don't understand what's missing?

Thanks,

Shilpi

Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 28, 2015

Hi @Shilpi Mittal , did run the import more than once, or increased the import limit as mentioned above? Otherwise with the first import step it might just have picked up the first 100 issues (plus by including the parent epics of stories contained in the filter, potentially a few more) - if you open the import once again, you should be able to import the next batch of 100 issues, if you use the "Exclude already linked" flag. Or, alternatively, turn the import limit up to something like 400 to import them all at once. If this is not the reason, please open a support ticket via support.atlassian.com, generally your assumption is correct, if you import closed items, they should be marked as complete as part of the import process (with the latest version of Portfolio), and if you use "Show completed" you should be able to see them in the backlog table.

0 votes
Amanda Cichon May 11, 2015

Hey @Martin Suntinger, sorry for the delay. 

1.) This is different.  I found the configuration to change the number imported at a time. This seems just random epics not being imported in. 

2.) But if I disable automatic syncing, as new issues are created in JIRA, they will not be added to Portfolio.  Is that correct? 

3.) Hmm, interesting.  I would think this is something most are doing?  Or perhaps I'm using the initiatives/ themes incorrectly... 

Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2015

Hi @Amanda Cichon, 1) ok, in this case I'd suggest to open a support ticket via support.atlassian.com to investigate further based on your instance/data 2) New issues created will not show up either ways, auto-sync is just for changes on the issues that are already imported. To catch new issues created, it is necessary to do a regular import, with the "Exclude already linked issues" option in the import dialog, ideally this is a once-click process of just pulling in the issues that have been created and not yet imported. The idea is to give you good visibility into what is added to the plan. 3) No, this is certainly a valid a probably common feature request - we currently just don't invest too much into improving the import step, as ideally we want to get rid of it alltogether and replace it by more dynamic loading of data (from a list of boards, or projects, or custom JQL filters), this would also solve #2, but is a bigger effort on our end

0 votes
Martin Suntinger
Atlassian Team
April 25, 2015

Hi Amanda, 

Regarding 1) - Not much of an idea without further context, when you open the import dialog, does it show a warning like "The search result returned a number of X issues, only the first 100 will be imported?" There is a (configurable) limit as to how many issues are imported at once for performance reasons, however when you open the import dialog again with the same filter, and the "Exclude already linked issues" checkbox is ticked, the rest should come through. You can increase this limit under Plan > Configure > Limits. If this is not the reason, please open a support case for this via support.atlassian.com

2) Portfolio currently treats the epic short name and epic summary as one and the same. If automatic syncing is turned on (Via Plan > Configure > Synchronization Settings), then any change in Portfolio on the item, will trigger a sync back to the JIRA issues, and the two fields are not distinguished, Portfolio sets both values to the name available in the Portfolio plan. The only option until JIRA Portfolio supports this more explicitly by surfacing both fields separately in the UI is to turn off this automatic syncing and just use "Apply updates to projects" to explictly update other fields on the issues when needed. 

3) Currently not - the only thing that is possible is to assign a release and release stream, and this can be implictly used as a workaround also to have a team assigned: On a release stream, it is possible to set "Assignable Teams" (this is an additional column in the releases table) - if set, then upon recalculate only these teams will get assigned to the work items in a particular stream. 

0 votes
Amanda Cichon April 20, 2015

Any updates on this JIRA folks? 

0 votes
Paul Wicker April 16, 2015

Same issue as #2... Seems like it's always the Epic Summary, not the Epic Name being imported into Portfolio

Suggest an answer