Jira Portfolio 3.10 Where to Set Workdays

Michelle Richmond September 20, 2019

I cannot find a place to tell Portfolio what workdays to use or what holidays to use.  Perhaps I am attempting to use the program incorrectly?  

In Jira Server 8.3.0 I have a Kanban to gather tasks across multiple projects.  The Kanban board has configured working days (M-F) and excludes some company holidays.  The issues contain estimated durations in weeks.  The start and end dates are empty.

I've used the Kanban board as a basis for a new plan in Portfolio.  When auto schedule runs it counts weekends and holidays as working days.  So an 8 wk ( 40 working days) task from the issue estimate becomes a (roughly) 30 working day task on Portfolio's Roadmap.

Is that just how it works, or am I doing something wrong?  Does anyone have a favorite work around for this?  

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 23, 2019

Hi Michael,

In the new planning interface non-working days were removed, there are some more details on this in:

Modifications to the scheduling algorithm

In many ways, however, this functionality has changed in 3.x when compared to previous versions. Markedly, the following items are not factored into the algorithm's outputs in 3.x:

• assignees/team members assigned to work
  • individual velocity/availabilities
  • skills/stages
  • earliest start date
  • plan-wide 'non-working days'
  • default estimates

More insight into some of these changes can be found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiraportfolioserver/future-releases-and-limitations-953663163.html

With some more details in "Changes in the improved interface" basically boiling this down the values are based on default plan wide velocity and ties the hours to the assignee for the issue capacity, and no longer works off the direct team association, and there is still a limitation in non-working days for the assignee association and the following Feature request is what you will want to follow and add a vote for to improve the working days / non-working day settings in the new interface:

Regards,
Earl

Michelle Richmond September 23, 2019

Thanks Earl.  at least now I know I'm not crazy!  I have followed and voted for the issue.  Thanks for the clarification!  

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

Suggest an answer