Jira Plugins - Manage add-ons, Details won't load

Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2018

So this one has been puzzling me for a while. When I go into manage add-ons, and I click on any of the user installed (read 3rd party) or the larger Atlassian plugins, to see the information to update or change keys, the information just never shows up.

It sits here for 30ish seconds 
Plugin loading.PNG

and then just looks like this
loading plugin done.PNG

No details load, I'm not picking on Adaptivist here, this happens to all large plugins.  I also run into this when trying to update plugins individually.  I click on the update button and nothing happens.  

Here's and odd thing with that too, if I bulk update, by clicking the update all button, sorting the plugins by Action Required, the plugins all update, proper like, but still won't show details when complete.

This in on a test/qa environment for us, so hasn't been the highest priority, but it is keeping us from installing any new plugins, cause we can't open them to add the license keys.  

We're running Jira server 7.6.6, but has been occurring since server 7.4.5.  Since this is a test server, we have no user load on it.  We are running on RedHat Linux with 8g memory and Java heap max at 6g.  Java version 1.8.0_151

Anyone else seen this behavior, I'm having no luck with google searches for comparable problems.

3 answers

1 accepted

17 votes
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 11, 2018

I got stuck once time with similar problem and it was related to network connection to Marketplace. IT department suddenly blocked all outgoing traffic and it started all problems. Try switching UPM to offline mode, maybe this will help if something is related to network.

To disable the UPM connection to the Marketplace:

1. As a user with administrator privileges, open the 'Manage Add-ons' or 'Find New Add-ons' page from the application's administration console. 
  2. Click the Settings link at the bottom of the page.
  3. Clear the Connect to the Atlassian Marketplace checkbox. This option is enabled by default.
  4. Click Apply.

If no change then probably a cache error or plugin error. You can check on the server do you have only on UPM .jar files in the installed-plugins directory and if there are more remove other (older versions, restart and see if that helped). Overall some logs (errors) might be helpful here to troubleshoot.

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2018

@Mirek

That was totally it.  I turned off the connection to the marketplace and *bam* works.  

So seems like I am getting info from the market place connection, because I get the notice about the plugin updates and I can install the plugins from the market place, but anything outgoing is blocked, so it times out waiting for an answer.

Like Mandia likes this
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 11, 2018

Good solution! 

Antonio Francis January 17, 2019

Hi,

I cannot find the Manage Add-On Page, could you please give me more steps on how to navigate to it.

Thanks,

Tony.

dejackson5 January 27, 2020

Took me awhile to stumble across this solution, but worked like a champ to solve this problem for me.  Thank you!

Like Mirek likes this
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2018

I've seen this happen when the UPM is a buggy version, when the server is struggling (check the CPU and memory usage when trying to load one of the descriptions), when I've made a hash of a plugin descriptor in my code, and when the Jira server has not been able to reach itself over REST (i.e. I've messed up my https settings).

I'm sure there are other causes though.  Just not sure what else.

Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2018

I'd log a support request on this. I bet they've seen it before

RG October 30, 2019

Hi,

I have been trying resolve the loading of the Manage-Apps page. Though the connection to the marketplace is enabled/disabled from the Settings-popup, this-page shows empty-results, and not showing any of the currently-installed-plugins, 

Meanwhile, I am working with my n/w team to have proxy-server accept my test-box connections to the marketplace.

I also realized, I don't have any proxy-settings defined at our app/server level.

QUESTION: Can this page break or show empty?  If no proxy-configuration is defined for the jira (in setenv.sh or the tomcat), to let any connections go to internet?

I do see time-out errors for the *marketplace.atlassian.com in the atlassian-jira.log in ../jira-home/log/

org.apache.http.conn.ConnectTimeoutException: Connect to marketplace.atlassian.com:443 [marketplace.atlassian.com/18.208.34.130, marketplace.atlassian.com/35.168.52.211, marketplace.atlassian.com/34.193.88.221] failed: connect timed out

NOTE: Also in the .../installed-plugins/ directory, there is only one *upm*plugin.jar

But in the .../transformed-plugins/ directory, there are few other older-versions of the *universal-plugin-manager*.jar. Could this cause problem too. I've read in few posts that, we can cleanup the .../transformed-plugins/ directory, and that it may just get reloaded with the currently installed-plugins transformed. I may try this too, after I test with the proxy-configuration in place.

Thanks.

0 votes
Matt Doar
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2018

Do the log files have any errors in them?

Check the Chrome Inspector console for any JavaScript errors too?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confkb/universal-plugin-manager-inaccessible-or-does-not-show-any-plugins-224402405.html has some ideas you may have seen already

Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2018
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 10, 2018

I did have trouble with the UPM at one point, after this trouble had already started, saying the version was already installed, but it wasn't.  That issue cleared up with the next release of UPM.

Suggest an answer