Jira Permissions issue for project visibility

Brandin Chiu October 1, 2019

I've inherited a JIRA setup for a company that I work with and am having trouble onboarding a new employee.

We created a new project, copying settings from an existing project.  We added the employee to Jira, and added them to the "Developer" role, that we know is attached to both the new and old project.

We've created tasks and assigned them to the new employee for the new project.

The new employee cannot see or access the new project.  We've confirmed the role exists and that the new employee belongs to it.  For safety, we also tried just adding the employee directly to the project.

For what it's worth, the new employee can't see either the old project or the new one, but we can't for the life of us understand why.

Can anyone give me any ideas on what to try next to get this sorted out?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2019

They are going to need browse permission. You need to look at the permission scheme to see what permissions the developer role has. If this is a next gen project they follow different rules I'm not familiar with as I don't use them. 

It's a legacy project, and the developer role should have all the necessary permissions that I'm aware of, as it's the one all the other employees use. Can you assign multiple roles to a user? Maybe they're missing a role.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 1, 2019

I've never tried to assign multiple roles. I use one permission scheme across all projects and assign multiple permissions to roles. I suggest finding a user who can see the project and how they are defined in roles and permissions. 

Yeah, we tried this and didn't see anything obvious, hence why I am here.  I'll look again though, maybe I missed something.

Suggest an answer