Jira - Permissions for Release

Kris June 9, 2017

We want to give access to our Developers so that they can create a Release version and Release. How can I do this in Jira. Could nit find a way to do so through Groups or other mechanisms.

19 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2019

To create a version and also to release it in Jira you need Administer Project permission. But this allows the respective users with this permission also to edit project role membership, which some companies like keep separate from creating and releaseng versions.

Therefor I have created a Jira add-on Version Manager for Jira, which provides a new permission Manage Versions. By assigning users or roles like Release Managers or Product Owners to this permission they can create and release versions without need for Administer Project permission.

See screenshots and description here.

For this version management an additional user interface is provided, because the standard user interface for version management is part of project config section only available for project admins.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Holger

P.S. I am not able to influence behaviour of Kanban or Scrum boards with my plugin. To release a version for a board, you still need Administer Project permission.  

Olexiy C. June 19, 2019

Any chance to see it for Jira cloud? 

Like # people like this
Daniel Prado Rodriguez September 30, 2022

It would be great if you could port this plugin to Jira Cloud, please ! @Holger Schimanski 

Like # people like this
Cristiano Drosg March 2, 2023

Hi @Holger Schimanski , any news about cloud porting? 

121 votes
Brant Messenger September 21, 2018

I would like to request the "Release" functionality to be a separate item in the permission schema. I want to set a permission to a build group that is separate from the administrator of the project. This is an audit issue for us and should be treated as so. If my team needs to release I have to set them as administrators of the project, which is not a specific project role... it is a build role.

Hope this makes sense. I'm not sure how other teams handle this but this is an audit finding for my team.

Eline Bijkerk September 24, 2018

Yes, please. This should not be connected to project admins - I don't necessarily want to give everyone project admin rights just so they can make releases.

Like # people like this
Carl-Marcus Scheffler November 13, 2018

Did you create a requirement with Atlassian for this? I would support it, if you did and share it with us...

Like # people like this
Nikhil Kundra November 28, 2018

Yes, please!

Like Cristiano Drosg likes this
Jon Karnofsky April 16, 2019

One more "yes, please!" here.

Like Cristiano Drosg likes this
Brant Messenger April 18, 2019

@somethingblueplease read the requests above.

WE (your customers) NEED a separate permission so that WE can assign a user that is NOT the project administrator the ability to action the "RELEASE" button and release the release.

Example of use would be a Development Manager or a DevOps lead, etc. It has been almost 2 years since you posted your response. Every other week people are up voting this request or adding the same request. Please slot for Jira's next release.

Thank you. 

CC: @Josh Berman 

Like # people like this
Like # people like this
Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2019

I have created a Jira add-on Version Manager for Jira, which provides a new permission Manage Versions.

By assigning users or roles like Release Managers or Product Owners to this permission they can create and release versions without need for Administer Project permission.

See screenshots and description here.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Holger

Like # people like this
Matt Walker May 1, 2019

Holger Schimanski's solution only works for Jira Server, FYI. 

There does not appear to be any simple solution for this available to Cloud users.

Like # people like this
Chris Green May 29, 2019

+1

Marcus_Fuchs March 23, 2020

+1 for "Yes, please implement it."

Ondřej Wretzl April 2, 2020

+1 please do IT

marcosxsilva August 19, 2020

This is a kind of basic "business rule" of system administration... You must separate user management from any other system role! 

I don't want my configuration managers or project leaders with authority to add or remove users/permissions. Currently only Administrator role can add/edit Releases.

Also... More than 3 years and Atlassian has not provided a solution or alternative to this.

I'm very disappointed with Atlassian!

Like # people like this
Viktor Kostin May 12, 2021

+1

Samuel Araiza June 2, 2021

Definitely would like to separate out our release perms from administering the whole project, as our team entrusts our QA team to manage releases as issues are vetted for.

Like # people like this
Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2023

Happy to announce that since today Version Manager for Jira is available as Data Center release at the Atlassian Marketplace.

Best regards
Holger

Sanjog Sigdel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 15, 2023

+1

16 votes
Sam Heks-Tuit October 2, 2018

I think theres a very good case for this permission to be separated from the administer project permission. It's an audit and security issue. Not all those who work on releases need to administer the project.

12 votes
Martin Hilbig [team neusta] May 10, 2022

I cannot believe this is not yet implemented after five years. 

7 votes
Anton Shiroky July 1, 2022

Atlassian team, seriously? Your clients NEED a separate "RELEASE" permission setting, we want to choose which of the project team can use the "RELEASE" button. For 5 years, you could not add this to any of your release

6 votes
Andy Johnson - DE July 14, 2022

July 2022 .. 5 years on and still no resolution.     :( 

Tracy Moffat July 14, 2022

If not already done, vote for it here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-67414

Like # people like this
2 votes
Larry Allen April 4, 2022

We want this, too.

2 votes
marcosxsilva January 29, 2021

Hi all, let's push Atlassian to implement it. 

Issue related to the topic: JRACLOUD-67414

Atlassian has provided a feedback for this issue... As a customer, I opened a official support request.

It seems Atlassian will not fix this SERIOUS issue.

If you have SEN number, open this issue in a formal way to Atlassian and argue this is not a "simple new feature". It's a REAL and CRITICAL Security breach. It's a DEFECT. 

My workaround in consideration: I'll start to looking for an alternative to Atlassian solutions. The competitors certainly have solutions that implements the BASIC system administration rules and take care of a some-thousand-licenses' customer requests. 

Regards,
Marcos

03/Jun/21 12:33 PM

Hello Team,

Thanks for contacting Atlassian Support!

I'm XXXXX and I'll assist you in this case.

We believe you may be referring to the suggestion ticket below:

We have reached out to our project team again to get an update regarding the status of the feature request regarding the ticket above. Our product team has informed us that currently, there's no plan to implement the feature request in JRASERVER-12891.

This was not an easy decision and something that was decided after reviewing our current feature request backlog. We have a set of criteria that we use to decide which feature request that we would like to implement. In case you have missed it, you may take a look at the criteria in the link below:

Currently, we are focusing on delivering feature requests which bring benefits to a large number of users. We have been working hard to include more new features which are useful for our users and you may view the feature request that we have recently implemented from the Jira Release Notes below:

We understand that the user interest of feature request in JRASERVER-12891 is relatively high but there are other feature requests which bring benefits for a larger number of users that we are currently working on. We do realize that this feature is something that you would like to see in Jira and rest assured, we are not ruling out of implementing this particular feature request. It's just for now our plate if full with a feature request in our existing roadmap.

We would recommend you to watch the feature request ticket so you can be notified if there are any changes to the feature request. In case you have any additional feedback including how the JRASERVER-12891 will be beneficial for your users, feel free to add a comment in JRASERVER-12891 feature request ticket so our product team better understand users use case scenarios.

Workaround

As for the workaround, there is a third-party plugin called Version Manager for Jira  which might be useful for you. Perhaps you can test it out to see whether it suits your use case.

Please let us know in case of any questions regarding this scenario, then we will be happy to help you further.

Best Regards,
[Remove the engineer name due to privacy aspects] | Atlassian Support Engineer

NCGR December 20, 2021

Version Manager for Jira

This add-on is not compatible for Data Center licenses.

Like Jean Gordon likes this
Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2021

As a small vendor, I have decided to not go through the effort of Data Center certification by Atlassian. However, the Version Manager for Jira addon works perfectly fine with Jira Data Center, is fully supported from my side for Data Center and quite some customers are using it in Jira Data Center successfully. You can safely use it in Jira Data Center. 

Best regards 

Holger

Like # people like this
1 vote
noc_domrf_ru February 11, 2020

Да, пожалуйста.

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 9, 2017

Hi Kris,

Have you added the users as Project Admins? When you create a user that is not a project admin and go to the Kanban board that option is greyed out.  Per the Releasing a version knowledge base article you will need to have the JIRA 'Project Administrator' permission in the project(s) whose issues are to be included in the version.

As Jordan stated you can make changes to the permissiosn in the project under permisisons.

Cheers,

Branden

Patrick Liétar August 24, 2018

In a board, when I have no filter enabled the release link is disabled and greyed out because it shows multiple projects of which I am not admin. When I filter on my project, it is enabled but gives the error below. And indeed, when I have my own board with only my project, I can use that link. Wouldn't that be a bug in JIRA? JSWSERVER-12930 could be related, appears as fixed on cloud but not on server.

screenshot-1.png

Like Oleg Baz likes this
0 votes
Kevin Morton July 1, 2021

👍

0 votes
Aryn Higgins January 29, 2021

Anyone hear of an update on this? Are basic users able to edit and manage release versions? 

Publish your vote at: 

JRACLOUD-67414

0 votes
Florian FARIBAULT November 17, 2020

Following !

0 votes
Alf H_ Solbjør November 13, 2020

Following!

0 votes
Ashish Mehra November 5, 2020

Following!

0 votes
Marcello Lima September 24, 2020

I need too!

0 votes
Melike September 24, 2020

I'm also following this issue.

0 votes
pavuluriv January 27, 2020

Holger,

Is it possible to separate the create and edit version to Product Owners and Release version to Release Manager. It looks like all these are combined under Manage version permission from your screenshots

0 votes
Jordan Berry June 9, 2017

This should be available through the permission scheme that is applied to your project

Suggest an answer