Jira PM?

Reza E. July 13, 2017

I was recently reviewing a resume. The candidate listed Jira PM as one of the tools they've used in the past. Is there such a thing?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2017

JIRA is sometimes referred to as a project management tool.

It does do a lot of that, and there's nothing wrong with your candidate saying they've done it.

Reza E. July 14, 2017

I have tried to use Jira as a PM tool and it's really not meant for it. It becomes kind of cludgy. What I was trying to ask was is there a Jira add-on or any other Atlassian product that is meant for project management? If there is I'd like to find out more about it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2017

I think you're probably misunderstanding what it means to do "project management".  JIRA really is for managing projects, but it's talking about one project, focussed on one thing.  What most people think of as "project management" is lots of projects.

The Portfolio or BigPicture add-ons are the two I'd lean towards for that, but there's others well worth a look.  It depends on what you mean by "project management" as to what you'll want to add!

Reza E. July 15, 2017

I've been in the PM business for 35 years so I think I understand project management. This is for use by an enterprise who has 100s of projects that are currently managed in MS Project Server. Looking for a simpler and less expensive solution.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 15, 2017

That's not what I was pointing out - I was trying to say that JIRA's use of "project management" is about managing projects.  Single ones, with a PM, estimates, lots of different users, and so-on.  That's not quite what most PMs mean when they say they are PMs.

Suggest an answer