Jira OnDemand very slow

Ulf Neujahr January 22, 2014

We are in the evaluating stage of Jira+Service Desk and were hoping that we do not have to install and host the service ourselves.

The OnDemand instance is VERY slow for us, page load times are often between 8-15 seconds, which makes Jira OnDemand next to unusable for us.

Instance: loggate.atlassian.net
Connection: 20mbit up/down fibre to the building
Scope: The problem occurs for all computers we tested this from.
Location: The problem is the same from a different network (e.g. from home).
Operating Systems used: Windows 7 32/64
Browsers Used: Firefox 26 and IE 11
Java-Version: Always the most recent one.

The load times are unbearable. Ping times to (for example) Google Servers like 8.8.8.8 are about 12 ms, ping times to loggate.atlassian.netare at roughly 170ms.

Example for ping to 8.8.8.8:

Antwort von 8.8.8.8: Bytes=32 Zeit=12ms TTL=48
Antwort von 8.8.8.8: Bytes=32 Zeit=12ms TTL=48
Antwort von 8.8.8.8: Bytes=32 Zeit=14ms TTL=48

Example for ping to loggate.atlassian.net:

Antwort von 165.254.226.66: Bytes=32 Zeit=169ms TTL=54
Antwort von 165.254.226.66: Bytes=32 Zeit=173ms TTL=54
Antwort von 165.254.226.66: Bytes=32 Zeit=168ms TTL=54
Antwort von 165.254.226.66: Bytes=32 Zeit=166ms TTL=54

We have a MUCH MUCH quicker connection to other servers in the U.S., so I don't think our connection or location is the only and/or main problem. Also, the locally installed Jira setup of one of our customers runs multitudes faster (using the same client computers and connection on our side).

Is there any way to improve this or any way this gets fixed? Otherwise we will not be able to order Jira OnDemand after evaluation.

4 answers

1 vote
Ulf Neujahr January 22, 2014

I raised a support ticket now, but somehow I don't have high hopes.

Martin Gregory February 3, 2014

How is it going? Anything you can share?

0 votes
Amanda Zacharski February 3, 2014

I was using Internet explorer for a month and it was super slow. I switched to Google Chrome and load time is much faster!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2014

Ahh, Internet Explorer - the world's most popular browser for downloading a real browser :-)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2014

This is a problem that has been repeatedly reported by a lot of OnDemand users.

I don't know what Atlassian are planning to do about it, but I do know they are looking into it.

I just wanted to add that there is a third option, in that you aren't stuck with either hosting it yourself or going with OnDemand - there are third parties, often Atlassian partners, who will also host it for you. I'm aware of some users who have moved from OnDemand to these hosting companies purely because of the speed of OnDemand.

(Disclaimer, conflict of interest thingy - I currently work for one such partner)

Please do post a list of such third parties. I quicky googled and couldn't really find anything obvious. I think it's fine to list your employer: we out here are suffering unusuable onDemand Jira, and a third party host could be just what we need...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2014

I should have posted this really - https://www.atlassian.com/resources/experts- you can filter the list by selecting "managed hosting"

Unfortunately, this doesn't help much. It turns up 72 results of companies that supposedly do managed hosting, but each one I've visited so far turns out to be some sort of support or software development company, with no obvious managed hosting offering :(

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2014

Subset by country to get a shorter list. I don't know them all but I know at least these do managing hosting:

1. Adaptavist (Nic's company)
  2. //SEIBERT/MEDIA GmbH
  3. ServiceRocket
  4. Appfire (my company)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 4, 2014

Sounds like the data needs some housekeeping then. I'd not really tried the filter a lot, but I've tried it and I see what you mean - "hosting" flag set on vendors who don't do it at all.

dan kersten January 27, 2015

Are they really looking into this? I just signed up for a trial to see if we should use this in our company and its dog slow. I don't think I'll be signing up for a paid account, this isn't usable...

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 22, 2014

Hi Ulf,

I don't think we can help you, you should raise a support ticket with the Atlassian support.

You can do this here : https//support.atlassian.com

Good luck on fixing this.

Best regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer