Jira - Not notify watchers.

Jason Turner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2013

Sometimes small changes to a Jira issue are made, nothing special that watchers need to be notified. In Confluence I can make updates and uncheck notify watchers, is there a way to not notify watchers on a particular Jira issue update.

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2013

Not possible at the moment. The only workaround is to make the change in "Bulk Edit" even if you are editing a single issue! You will get an option not to send notifications in the end.

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2015

This is a good strategy, but unfortunately bulk edits prohibits modifications to the following fields (among others): •Summary •Description •Environment •Time Tracking fields

1 vote
Aviad Herman March 13, 2021

I don't get it, this request is so easy to solve:
Jira, please implement an "stealth" mode that once toggled on does not send any notifications upon change.

The user can just choose to turn stealth mode on / off at will.

1 vote
Juan Romero Fernández April 24, 2020

Any change about that?

thx.

1 vote
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2013

Hi Jason,

You cannot choose per issue. But you can choose to not notify watchers on any issue updates by setting the notification scheme accordingly.

Cheers

Bhushan

Kevin Mote
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 23, 2015

Yes, _if_ you have sufficient privileges. I'm an admin, so I"ve set up a Notification Scheme called "Temporarily Suppress All Notifications". I just switch the project to that scheme momentarily, edit the issue at hand, then switch the scheme back. Of course, I'm in a small shop so I can get away with shenanigans like that without much concern.

0 votes
stephaniep February 9, 2017

This option can be tweaked or indeed removed in the Notification scheme which can be updated by your global administrator.

0 votes
Frederick Von Chimpenheimer IV September 22, 2016

All these work arounds are not so great. Fixing typos in an issue generates an email, but making tweaks to confluence has a "Notify Watchers" checkbox. It's kind of incongruous.

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 23, 2013

Depending on what you're trying to accomplish - you can set up a loopback workflow step that triggers the emails and have a transition screen on it that lets people edit the fields. Once the transition screen has been filled out - a Condition on the workflow can trigger a custom event which in turn can be used in your notification scheme.

Suggest an answer