Jira - New installation, "old" Database

Fab August 10, 2014

Hey folks,

i am supposed to migrate my companies Jira installation from one server to another, keeping the old Database, which is running on yet another server.

what i did so far is:

i have set up a new installation of Jira (same version as before, 6.1.5) and after installation, i used the setup wizard to import the .xml backup of the productive db.

Now i should switch the DB to our production one. I figured out the following procedure to do so and it would be nice if someone could tell me, if it will work in that way and if not, what am i supposed to do to make it work:

1. shut down jira (old and new)
  2. get a backup of the home directory
  3. copy the backup into the "new" jira home folder
  4. make the new connection by using the jira configuration tool / delete or rename the "dbconfig.xml" and use the setup wizard again

greetings from germany

fabian

9 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2014

Sounds like you got it right, Fabian.Make sure you get a backup of the .XML and the database .bak just in case.

1 vote
Bruna Griebeler
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2014
Fab August 11, 2014

ok my problem is now, that i can access at least jira using browser, but i get this message, which is pretty frustrating aswell

We have detected that JIRA is configured to connect to a database from a previous version of JIRA. If you have just upgraded JIRA, you may need to consult the 3.7 Upgrade Guide.

the end of the logfile is attached to this post

i am desperate, i am at work for 18 hours now and my brain is fried... i hope someone of you guys has a solution for our problem. i will check in 8 hours again, when i will be here at work again

have a good night guys

0 votes
Giuliano C.
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 12, 2014

Glad about it, Fab!

Since this is a Forum, there's no need to close the case. I just suggest you to click on the "Accept" button to have the the answer accepter. Right below the vote/downvote options for the answers. :)

Cheers,

Giu

0 votes
Fab August 11, 2014

so everything is working now!

do i have to close this issue?

greetings

0 votes
Fab August 11, 2014

so re-indexing solved the problem of the missing issues :)

now i have just to switch to ssl and i am done ... i cannot believe it

thanks alot guys!!!

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2014

The database scheme changes between two versions cause these type or errors. What I would do is to:

1. Use an empty database and set JIRA up with that.

2. Import XML you backed up from earlier version

See if that works. Sometimes little things frustrate too much, been there done that. Hang in there.

Fab August 11, 2014

good morning guys,

now i was finally able to make jira work now, it was an issue in the dbconfig.xml.

I can login, the profile pictures and probably also attachments are available, but i cannot see a single issue...

greetings

Tomas Cruz April 20, 2021

I'm faced with a similar problem, however, i don't get the errors he is getting. My error is mostly that I can't get the issues, boards etc stored in the database even after re-indexing the db on jira. 

I did upgrade the db from a EOL version to a higher version after upgrading jira. I even configured a new db, modified the dbconfig file to point to the db with data and still no issues showing up or previous data. Anyone can help me with what else i should try?

Basically I upgraded Jira from 8.1 to 8.13.5, attached a copy of my RDS prod db, upgraded it (postgres 9.5 to 9.6) to be compatible with jira 8.13.5, home directory was kept intact, setenv file copied over from previous setup as well as the server.xml file with the customization, jira came up, upgraded screen as well, re-indexed and no data was present.  

0 votes
Fab August 11, 2014

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
We have detected that JIRA is configured to connect to a database from a previous version of JIRA. If you have just upgraded JIRA, you may need to consult <a href="http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+3.7+Upgrade+Guide">the 3.7 Upgrade Guide</a>.
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

2014-08-11 22:47:28,125 localhost-startStop-1 FATAL [atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseChecklistLauncher] Build178SchemaCheck failed: We have detected that JIRA is configured to connect to a database from a previous version of JIRA. If you have just upgraded JIRA, you may need to consult <a href="http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+3.7+Upgrade+Guide">the 3.7 Upgrade Guide</a>.
2014-08-11 22:47:28,125 localhost-startStop-1 FATAL [atlassian.jira.startup.DatabaseChecklistLauncher] Database startup check failed.
2014-08-11 22:47:28,144 localhost-startStop-1 INFO [jira.config.database.DatabaseConfigurationManagerImpl] Now running Post database-configuration launchers
2014-08-11 22:47:28,459 localhost-startStop-1 INFO [core.entity.jdbc.DatabaseUtil] Database Product Name is PostgreSQL
2014-08-11 22:47:28,460 localhost-startStop-1 INFO [core.entity.jdbc.DatabaseUtil] Database Product Version is 8.3.13
2014-08-11 22:47:28,460 localhost-startStop-1 INFO [core.entity.jdbc.DatabaseUtil] Database Driver Name is PostgreSQL Native Driver
2014-08-11 22:47:28,460 localhost-startStop-1 INFO [core.entity.jdbc.DatabaseUtil] Database Driver Version is PostgreSQL 9.0 JDBC4 (build 801)

0 votes
Mehmet Kazgan
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 11, 2014

Bruna got the answer for deadlock.

0 votes
Fab August 10, 2014

hi mehmet, hi guys

i just told jira, by using the configtool, what is the database (tested successfully) and what is the home-path.

now jira is redirecting to http://jiralockederroror something similar... i am close to desperation. :(

someone familiar with this issue?

Suggest an answer