Jira: Matrix rating of tickets

Matthias February 13, 2013

Is there a plugin, which allow me a matrix alike rating of issues? So that I can assign multiple priorities to the same issue with different weightings.

Example I have priorities 1-5 (Low-Heigh) and multiple Customers. Customer "Very Important Customer" as a weighting of 5, customer "Important customer" has a weighting of 3 and "Other Customers" have a weighting of 2.

I could then assign multiple priorities per ticket and identify issue, which are in general not important, but are of high importance for a strategical important customer. E.g. having following priorites

Very Important Customer: 5

Important Customer: 2

Other Customers: 3

Leads to a weighted average of (5*5 + 2 * 3 + 3*2)/10 = 3.7

This way I hope to reach the following goals

- Find a genral rule of thumb of the importance of tickets (it probably will not be perfect but a good orientation)

- Easily find the most important issues for a particular customer

Is there some plugin or other solution similar to this?

7 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2013

Hi Matthias,

You can use the SIL Script Custom Field (calculated field) offered by this plugin. It will allow you to write a small script to calculate the overall priority. When you have to change your formula, it's all in one place: weightings, customers, properties etc.!

Mh... I don't really get the difference between an aproach using a SIL field and a calculated custom field (from JMCF plugin)

Florin Manaila
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2013

AFAIK, JMCF only allows you to inspect the issue, while SIL will allow you to also calculate weightings by the user's group, project, user properties, etc. It will allow you to better customize the formula.

0 votes
Christoph Piotrowski _catworkx_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 4, 2019

Hi Matthias, we just released a tool to support a matrix based priorization supported by a very easy GUI. You can drag'n'drop issues in a matrix like dashboard and change two customfields representing the horizonzal and vertical axis.

Feel free to check all the details on the maretplace page here:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1220089/matrix-for-jira?hosting=server&tab=overview

Regards

Christoph

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 14, 2013

You can also have a simple select list customfield , where you define the importance of the issue .

You/user can set the value to this .

Now you can have a gadget (filter results )which will display issues according to this customfield.

0 votes
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2013

We used JIRA Workflow Toolbox

Here is an simple example, written by Fidel (autor of the plugin) for us:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jiwt/forums/forum/1242909/topic/5419018

Not a perfect aproach since it uses post-function (and I might change a value without doing a transition), but it leaded me to a possible solution:

- Have one custom field per customer/weighted property

- Have one calculated custom field, which calculates the overall priority

The downsides of this solution is that a lot of custom fields might be needed and it is difficult to change the weighting of a particular property (I need to change the formula of the custom field). But still a possible way

0 votes

By the weighting I assign. It does not necesarrily need to be a particular customer, could also be something like importance for Operating/Support/Development team each with different weights assigned.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2013

I would use ranking in greenhopper. Otherwise, you could write a calculated custom field.

0 votes
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2013

How are you defining the customer is a Very Important Customer OR Important Customer ,etc ?

Suggest an answer