Jira Manager Approval Workflow

Nick Skinner May 8, 2013

Hi All,

I am still pretty new to Jira workflows, and I was wondering if it is possible to setup a rather sophisticated approval workflow with Jira. In my organization every worker has a specific reporting manager, department manager, and a C-level officer. This data is stored in a database and is accesible via Microsoft Active Directory. Depending upon who needs a request approved the manager or mangers the request needs to go through will be different. And the approval requests will need to go through the different levels of managers depending upon the price point of the approval request.

Is there a way to lookup the appropriate manager or manager(s) using Microsoft Active Directory (or a plugin of some type) so that the approval can be sent to the appropriate manager or managers?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nick Skinner May 13, 2013

I am still very new to Jira administration so I am still playing catch up. From what I can interpret from Radu's first hyperlink, that is good example of setting up an approval workflow. But unless I am missing something there is not way in that example to use AD to lookup the currently logged in user's manager. Radu's second hyperlink goes to a confluence routine that seems to be able to what I am looking for. But that is a confluence routine. Will that same routine work in Jira?

Basically what I am trying to do is this. If I submit a request for an expensive piece of new equipment I want that request to be approved by my manager before being fulfilled. But if my manager were to submit her own request for new equipment then her manager needs to approve that request. In my organization every person has an associated manager which is stored in an external database managed by human resources. Because HR can change these managers duplicating reporting managers for hundreds of employees is impractical. What I really want to be able to do is use AD to access the reporting manager for the currently logged in manager. Does that make sense?

From waht I can tell of Radu's answer I am not seeing a way to get this information into JIRA only Confluence.

0 votes
Nick Skinner May 13, 2013

The confluence example is close to what I am looking for. But I am hoping for a way to do that in JIRA. Basically when the currently logged in user submits a particular JIRA issue type I want an approval to go that user's manager. But I want the lookup for that manager to occur using Active Directory. Any suggestions on this? Thanks in advance.

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2013

But I am hoping for a way to do that in JIRA

what do you mean? this example shows exactly every step to take in JIRA.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2013

Yes, of course.

We have a tutorial here to show you how it is done using our plugins: http://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/TR/Start+progress+on+an+issue+only+after+the+approval+of+project+manager

You can adapt that example you suit your own needs, including the lookup into the AD for the managers (we have a routine getting users from AD, check: http://confluence.kepler-rominfo.com/display/SIL/ldapUserRecord )

However, be warned that there are other plugins available on the market to help you do that.

0 votes
Timothy
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2013

As far as I know, no. You will need to set up the users, groups & roles in your JIRA instance itself.

Suggest an answer