We are trying to upgrade 4.3.4 to 5.1.1. When we ran the upgrade on a test box, the "updating custom field" part of the install took 1 1/2 hours. Step 4 of 41 took 7 1/2 minutes.
We attempted an upgrade on our production box this weekend. Step 4 was still running after nearly 40 minutes. Thinking something must be wrong, we aborted the install, rolled everything back and started again. After the third try, we cancelled the update and will be reexamining things to see how to proceed. Our DBA guy says that during the install, he saw two SQL processes blocking each other (I will include a more detailed statement from him later).
Could someone suggest a way to make the install proceed in a timely manner?
The SQL might be nice to see, but I think we need a brief list of the steps you are taking to do the upgrade too.
I've had problems with a custom field blocking the upgrade, fixed by making sure the plugin providing the type was installed in the new system before we even looked at the real data, and I know some version jumps can be a problem in some cases (e.g. I had problems doing 3.0.3 to 3.6, but 3.0.3 to 3.3.0 to 3.6 sailed through fine)
This is from our DB guy:
There were no error messages, but as the upgrades were being performed on the server, the select statement used to supply the parameters for the update statements looked to be blocking the update statements themselves. The wait time type that Confio was giving was CXPacket (Parallelism),
Mmm, that's a message for a DBA more than us, but fair enough.
Can you try an intermediate update?
We could be chasing this for ages and if it is a bug in the process of jumping too many versions, I doubt it's going to be fixed when there's a workaround of "take smaller jumps in version".
Yes, I'd agree - poking at a critical system is not a good option. Messing around with debugging something that might never be fixed, tinkering with databases when we're not even sure where the porblem is, and so on, I'd skip it and do a two step upgrade. My instinct is to go with Norman's route - 4.4 first, 5.x next.
Sorry could not follow the conversation until now. You need to read through all the upgrade guides to see if anything might affect your upgrade process. The reason for picking on 4.4 is because there was major changes done in this release. You can see for yourself about the number of changes in 4.4 that was documented. Do not forget to check your plugins as well.
I had issues between 4.3 and 4.4 due to the database changes. I also had issues with 5.0.5, 5.0.6 and 5.0.7 related to UPM not functioning correctly. I also had issues with the 5.1.2 and 5.1.3 where some process was blocking the upgrade but could not find the process to kill. I needed to reboot the machine to clear things up.
So we rolled everything back again and tried the upgrade to 4.4. Same exact problem. The log messages were different but I believe it was in the same place. The log stated
2012-09-26 17:05:17,488 main INFO [atlassian.jira.upgrade.UpgradeManagerImpl] Performing Upgrade Task: Converting Custom field values for Select and MultiSelect types to store the id of the option rather than the value.
which I believe means it stalled in the same place (or just after). This section took seven minutes when we first attempted it. When we tried in production, it never came back. The difference was that service pack 1 was installed on production. Service pack 1 has been installed on the test server and since then, we are having this problem. Something in the upgrade process appears to be conflicting.
That pre-empts the next question of "what is different between Production and Test" - it's service pack 1 causing the problem, or there's a fix/change in the service pack that the upgrade needed left unfixed.
We've not actually discussed what OS or even database you are on yet, and I think that's relevant in this case. Could you tell us a bit more about them? And what the service pack was applied to?
(I'm assuming Windows is the base, but was it the application server, or the database server, or both? And was it the OS service pack, or something for the database?)
The DBA did the following:
"I have restored the DB and set parallelism to only use 1 instead of all"
Then the update (direct to 5.1.1) proceeded as it had previously on the test box and completed within 1 hour. We will be scheduling another run at the upgrade presently.
This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.Read more
Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs