Jira Link Issues with Summary

3siadmin July 2, 2013
When mentioning a ticket in a Jira description field (TEST-123), Jira will automatically link that text to that ticket. Jira will also pull the summary field of that ticket and make it the title attribute for that link. Is there anyway to make Jira link issues with the summary as part of the inner html of the link. For example: Assume ticket TEST-123 exists with summary: This is Broken In another ticket's description I enter TEST-123 Jira renders that description like: TEST-123 - This is Broken

2 answers

0 votes
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2013
Craig Silver April 12, 2020

Has anyone ever done this? If not, then perhaps someone can offer a little more info on how to do it?

I see from the above link:

Sample 

Description

Sample 

JIRA issues

If the text contains text that resolves to a JIRA issue key, an HTML link will be generated, pointing to that issue.

but is also then says that this default renderer cannot be disabled.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2020

This is a seven-year-old question and things have changed.  On this subject though, it has not really, when Jira spots a reference to an existing issue, it makes it a link.

Craig Silver April 12, 2020

Thanks for the reply after all this time. I should have been more specific though.

Rather than turn the reference into text, I want the link's label text to be just as the OP wanted, with the key and the summary. For instance, if I enter TEST-123 and that issue's summary text is This is Broken, then I still want it to render as a link to that issue, and I want it to show the link as: TEST-123 - This is Broken. Is that still not possible?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2020

Ah, I see.

No, Jira doesn't do that.

Craig Silver April 13, 2020

Thanks for letting me know.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 2, 2013

You would need to do a bit of coding to do that - amending the "renderer" that is drawing the links.

Suggest an answer