Jira License question: URGENT

Vince Maraia January 22, 2014

Hello,

WE have a Jira 100 Users: Commercial License.

When I look up the license info I get "User Limit 100 (88 currently active)"

Can you please explain what this means? Is that 88 accounts in Jira? How do I recycle the account number because several people have left the company? Is this a con-current license? What happens when we go over 100? How do we upgrade to 500?

thanks,

Vince

6 answers

1 vote
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2014

As for recycling users, (and assuming Jira 5+) go into User Management -> Click on "Edit" for the User you want to recover the license -> uncheck "Active"

You should now have freed up a license.

thx, I figured this out.

1 vote
Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 22, 2014

Hi Vince,

Yes, the 88 accounts is the number of user accounts you have in your Jira instance. You can bring that number down by going into your jira user directory and uncheck the 'active' box in the 'edit details' link for each inactive user.

If you go over the User limit for your instance it will prevent anyone from creating issues.

If you want to upgrade to 500 you'd just have to purchase the licence in question from atlassian, but I expect that's not what you're looking for.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 22, 2014

If you do go the 500 user route, you just paste a new licence into the licence box, no need for downtime etc.

Thanks, is there a way I can dump the list of users from Jira to a file? thx

Will I have to upgrade my plugins, e.g. HPQC JaM? thx

0 votes
Ubisoft January 22, 2014

Hi Vince,

What Jira version are you running? It can be a bit different depending, and it's easier to help you out that way.

User management would be in the bar on the left in jira 4 in your aministation and in jira 5.x+, just type 'gg' then users.

You'll have a total list of all the accounts, but you can get the exact number of active user accounts in your jira instance by opening the 'create users' box, it'll let you know.

In jira4 you won,t be able to deactivate the users if you need to, you'd need to remove the inactive users from the jira-users group, it will have the same effect.

That being said, jira will consider as active all users that have the 'active' box checked and that are in jira-users.

As for auto-updating the inactive users from your AD, it's been implemented in 6.1: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-24937?jql=issue%20in%20watchedIssues()

0 votes

Also, has anyone have a suggestion to automatically update the users when someone leaves the company? thanks

Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2014

Hi Vince,

What Jira version are you running? It can be a bit different depending, and it's easier to help you out that way.

User management would be in the bar on the left in jira 4 in your aministation and in jira 5.x+, just type 'gg' then users.

You'll have a total list of all the accounts, but you can get the exact number of active user accounts in your jira instance by opening the 'create users' box, it'll let you know.

In jira4 you won,t be able to deactivate the users if you need to, you'd need to remove the inactive users from the jira-users group, it will have the same effect.

That being said, jira will consider as active all users that have the 'active' box checked and that are in jira-users.

As for auto-updating the inactive users from your AD, it's been implemented in 6.1: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-24937?jql=issue%20in%20watchedIssues()

So then a AD person (or account) can not login and view issues unless I add them to the internal directory? thx These are the only settings I see (don't see copy user on login)

Unless I have to be logged in the internal directory...?

Thanks for the great answers. I am using Jira 5.2. Hopefully my last question is: How can I prevent Jira from creating any more accounts so I don't go over the limit until I can get an updated license? (money approvals at my company take a long time) We are using LDAP and I believe the settings for the AD directory is for Read only w/local groups. Is there a setting so I can control the new users? thx!

Ubisoft
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2014

You should be able to disable the auto-creation by unchecking the ''copy user on login'' box in your LDAP Authentication user directory settings (in administration). You need to be logged in an internal directory user to maintain that though.

0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 22, 2014

Are you tied into AD? What Jira version are you running?

0 votes

Thanks but where is User Management? When I go into 'users' from the administration screen it says I have '3306' users (from AD I assume).

So how does Jira count the 88? thanks again.

Suggest an answer