Jira License 'Reclaim'

Ryan Pesta May 12, 2014

So we are a small team. About 14 in our IT team. Pretty much everyone in the company uses email to submit helpdesk tickets. There's been a few times where people have logged in, taken up a licence, and have not logged in since. So 43/50 of our licenses are taken up, when ~15 of those users have not logged on for months.

Ideally I would like Jira just to "forget" they ever logged in and get that license back. Making them inactive will prevent them from creating tickets, which is not my intention. When a user logs in, they are added to the "users" group, which is set by default to allow them to login to the application. I want this to be allowed, but just want to remove users from that group again like they are a new user.

I have tried removing the user manually from the groups, but then if they ever try logging in again (which I want) it will come up with "You do not have a permission to log in."

2 answers

0 votes
emards April 2, 2020

Hello

Is this answer still valid?

I would like to do the exact same thing.

Also I understand that this is done by running a script in the DB.

Can I find the query that does it ?

Best Regards

Sebastien EMARD

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2020

The answer is still the same.

Do not do this in the database without stopping Jira, taking a complete full backup, and restoring that to a test system to prove it was valid.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2014

Er, hang on, think this through.

A Jira licence seat is taken up by an ACTIVE user. That's what you're paying for - up to 50 people to be active. Either a user is active and uses a licence, or you've made them inactive and they do not.

What you're asking for is to have active users who do NOT consume a licence seat. That contradicts the spirit (and coding) of the licence.

You need to make up your mind whether these guys should have an active account or not, and deactivate the ones who do not.

Note that you can use anonymous access without using any licences. This is only suitable for "read only" access, and it's probably unsuitable for a Jira if you are going to put it on the internet.

Ryan Pesta May 12, 2014

Only about 20 end users actively use the system. The remaining users taking up licenses seemed to have just logged in to check it out, taking up a license for no reason. I want them to be able to submit tickets in the future if needed. I just don't want to have to manually deactivate/activate each user.

For Jira, it's a lightswitch that never turns off (at least from my understanding.) Once you login and are "active" you can never be inactive unless permissions are manually removed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2014

That's correct - you need to choose to deactivate a person. And if you later decide you want them to create issues again, you'll need to reactivate them.

I've scripted stuff that does things like "last login > 3 months ago, deactivate" and "deactivate because an invalid email address means they've left even though HR are probably committing data retention crimes by destroying their email addresses"

But you have to actively choose to maintain your users like this. Your users aren't taking up licences for no reason, they're doing it because you choose to let them.

Suggest an answer