Jira Key Numbers Not In Order

AIS Pharmacy June 11, 2015

Hey everyone,

I have a JIRA instance with a couple of projects and the second project I added, the numbers in the Key for that project do not go in direct order.  The project started with PROJ-1 and went to about 75.  After that the next number is PROJ-158 and then so on and so forth.  Now there are a total of about 130 issues in the project but the latest key is PROJ-14450.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?  Also, I was hoping that I can reset they key to start at say PROJ-200 and go into the database and change all of the currently high issues to something below 200.

Just don't want this to be an issue that continues to grow out of control...

Thanks!

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
AIS Pharmacy June 12, 2015

Hey everyone,

We create tickets by email and I found a couple of emails that were stuck in the inbox.  These emails were not getting added to the JIRA project or deleted from the inbox but they were incrementing the counter for issue number in the key.  So every 5 minutes JIRA would check the email for new ones and increment the counter by 2 each time.  After a few hours an email would come in and get processed by JIRA and then take the next available number in the series which was of course no longer sequential.  

Removing these emails fixed the issue.  Also I was able to sucessfully renumber the issue numbers and reset the counter with no issues.

Thanks!
Ben 

Idiyana Salim October 26, 2020

Hi AIS Pharmacy,

I have same issue with you which the project that issue keys not follow sequence also using email to create ticket. May I know, after you remove the email, did you enable it back? how long do you take to enable after disabled it?

0 votes

I did run a reindex on JIRA and this seemed to cause the next few to go in sequential order. 

I am now looking at changing the number on the high ones to a lower number and restarting the pcounter.

Thanks
Ben 

0 votes

Hi Rahul,

Thanks for the reply.  No we are not using the gantt-chart plugin.

Thanks
Ben 

0 votes
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2015

Do you have gantt chart plugin? If yes, disable it and thencheck.

Its aknown bug with gantt-chart plugin

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Issue+key+is+being+incorrectly+incremented

Rahul

Suggest an answer