Jira Issue Move

rstewart2702 September 16, 2013

When I move an issue from one project to another, is there a way to preserve the issue numbers?

For example: if I move task A-1 to project B, I would like for the task to have key B-1 in project B.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2013

Well, at least not out of the box or manipulation the database I guess since the keys are continuous. YOu might already have one issue with B-1 as issue key in your target project...

rstewart2702 September 16, 2013

Thanks, that makes sense.

If the target project is empty, or I can otherwise guarantee non-overlap of the numbers, how do I get the issue numbering to be preserved? Must the query which fetches the source records impose an ordering on the records, so that they'll be moved into the target project in the same order as they were retrieved by the query? I suppose that for such a stunt to work, one must also find a way to force the target project issue number to start at a particular value?

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 16, 2013

Forcing the target project to start at a fixed value is relatively easy. There is a pcounter column in the project table and you can reset it to the value you want. You will have to do it when JIRA is offline.

Note that the issues created in the target project will still be continuous even if it is not in the source project.

Suggest an answer