Jira Issue Closed Date

Susan Esher October 25, 2013

How do I find the date an Issue was CLOSED? Thanks.

5 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 25, 2013

That's not quite true - resolution date is not always closed date.

The answer to the question givein is simply "look in the issue history", but I suspect there's a further question, in that the poster will want to report on the date directly (for example "closed date < -7d"). JQL doesn't let you interrogate the history quite that easily, and most places won't display the date either (the issue navigator only displays fields, not "stuff we extracted from the history").

To solve this problem in the future, the most easy option is to add a "closed date" date/time field and use a plugin to give a transition post-function that sets this date to "now" when any close transition is used.

Susan Esher October 25, 2013

Thanks Nic. You are correct. I know where to find dates in issues and I know how to do advanced queries. However, there is no Closed date anywhere that I can query on that I can find and you have confirmed that. I will look to the transition post-function as a solution. Thanks.

Like Lukasz Slodziak likes this
1 vote
Vidic Florjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2013

Andrey's plugin is nice. You can also createcustom field called Script Field with Scriptrunner plugin to get this information automatically.

Link to documentation how to create Script field:

https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Scripted+Fields?src=contextnavchildmode

Code for this Script Field:

import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager
def componentManager = ComponentManager.getInstance()
def changeHistoryManager = componentManager.getChangeHistoryManager()
changeHistoryManager.getChangeItemsForField(issue, "status").find {it.toString == "Closed"}?.getCreated()

Royce Wong
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2018

What if the issue gone through a cycle and closed multiple times? What would this scripted field return?
The first time the issue was closed? Or the last time?

Tammy Robinson January 17, 2019

As Royce pointed out above...

Does anyone know how to use this logic similarly to get the LAST time the issue was Closed - in case it was allowed to Close multiple times?

Like Dave likes this
1 vote
Andrey Markelov
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2013
0 votes
Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2015

I want to Get Closed Date from script runner with below script. It works but not exact due to Timezone difference. How can I get exact date?

import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager

def componentManager = ComponentManager.getInstance()

def changeHistoryManager = componentManager.getChangeHistoryManager()

changeHistoryManager.getChangeItemsForField(issue, "status").find {it.toString == "Closed"}?.getCreated().format('dd/MMM/yy HH:mm')

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2015

That's the date it was closed... the server date is authoritative. You can adjust it for display to clients, but you haven't given any context so don't know what the circumstance is.

Raju KC
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 7, 2015

@Jamie Two users - User1 at Time Zone: (GMT+05:45).This is set in user profile. User2 at Time Zone: (GMT-06:00).This is set in user profile. System/apps hosted in Time Zone: (GMT-06:00) getCreated() gives the date at Time Zone: (GMT-06:00). So User2 has no problem. But the user1 gets the date of (GMT-06:00). Whereas other dates like Resolved, Created , updated are in (GMT+05:45). I want to get Closed date in (GMT+05:45) for User1. I want generic solution that can work for any users in any Timezone.

0 votes
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 25, 2013

Hi Susan

You can find this information inside the issue at the right corner at the resolution date.

Hope it helps,

Ricardo Carracedo.

Suggest an answer