Jira Internal Directory to Microsoft Active Directory Username Case Problem

Neil Wheeler July 28, 2011

Jira 4.3.4

All of our users in Jira are currently on the Internal Directory. Yesterday, I enabled Active Directory as the prmary directory, but I came across a problem with case sensitivity. Our usernames in Jira are lowercase (neil) and in Active Directory they are capitalised (Neil). After making the switch and logging in I found that I had been created a new account (Neil) and was not logged in as my old account (neil). A major pain as I no longer had admin rights and couldn't undo the change (got around that by restoring the database from the backup I made before starting).

Is there a way to make Jira understand that user Neil in AD is the same as user neil in Jira?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
ThiagoT September 3, 2011

Hello Neil,

Nice to meet you :)

So, unfortunately, what is happening with your is a current bug with JIRA, and as such is being tracked on our developers site: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-24558. Fortunately enough, this bug is already verified, and should be implemented in the next releases of JIRA (4.4.1 or 4.4.2).

Since the bug is not fixed yet, the current workaround for it is creating a XML backup of your data, and do a Find-and-replace through all the occurances of your users wihch contain uppercase letters. After doing so, you restore this same XML file back into JIRA, and the usernames will be changed back into lowercase letters, and the now JIRA will correctly relates your users to their activities.

If you choose this workaround, please take utmost care in doing it, and make sure you backup your database before implementing it.

I hope this answer was somewhat useful to you.

Best Regards

Thiago Prisco

Neil Wheeler September 18, 2011

Thanks for your reply, I'll keep an eye on the issue you mentioned https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-24558. Shame that it wasn't fixed in 4.4 or 4.4.1.

Suggest an answer