Jira - How to create Dashboards

Roberto L
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2017

Hello Community,

I can't seem to figure out how to create a dashboard in Jira.

I have 1 additonal type of issue in my Jira (aside from the OutOfBox ones), ProductNumber.

I am trying to create a dashboard which shows all the sub-tasks under a specific ProductNumber. I want the results to be filtered by the user somehow clicking a specific ProductNumber. 

For example, if the user clicked on a button that stated "P00302" (which is a product number), then the dashboard would filter down and show all the sub-tasks associated with this issue.

I have tried finding documentation for this but I admit I am lost.

Any help would be gretly appreciated!

-Roberto

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 1, 2017

A dashboard in JIRA might be able to display information in a gadget, but these tend to not be very interactive in regards to clicking them in order to change the information displayed.

However I think that you could instead create a new board (not a dashboard, but a board) in JIRA Software/ JIRA Agile to achieve this functionality.    In order to create a board in JIRA, you need to first create a saved filter that displays all the issues you want to see, perhaps something like

project=XYZ and ProductNumber is not empty

This would return all the issues in XYZ project that have some value for the productnumber field.

From there, you can create a new board based on that filter.  Boards -> View All Boards, on the top right corner, click the Create Board, then select a board type, and choose the based on JQL filter to the filter of these issues.  

From that point you can then use the steps in Configuring Quick Filters in order to create sub queries to this filter that only show specific issues.   For example, you can make a quick filter that is just

assignee = currentUser()

And when you click that quick filter on that board, it would reduce the issues to just the issues assigned to the currently logged in user in JIRA.  

You can also create a quick filter that is just

ProductNumber=P00302

And again, when you click this it only shows issues that have that value in the custom field.  With the quick fitlers you can stack/toggle their use here.  So you could click both and see only your assigned issues with that specific productnumber value.

Suggest an answer