Jira/Greenhopper and usage of Story Points

Ben Vafa April 1, 2013
When using Jira Greenhopper boards the estimate done in Jira issue (user story for instance) does not automatically show up in the issue looking at Greenhopper board.
Story Points estimated in Jira issue is not the same as manual entered in Greenhopper view. (was empty from start, should have been same as estimated in Jira issue).

2 answers

0 votes
Ram Muthiah August 22, 2013

If you use greenhopper with JIRA, fields like story points and business value should show up in Agile tab when you create the issue. (Depending on your configuration, if there is no agile tab these fields should show up in main screen).

I have not seen the field "units" in JIRA or Greenhopper.

Chris Fontan August 22, 2013

Thanks for the reply. I was able to get this working correctly.

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2013

Are you sure you are using the correct Story Points field in you issue screen?

Greenhopper has it own custom field for Story Points and this is the default for Greenhopper use.

You can normally change this behaviour in your Greenhopper configuration.

1. Go to your Scrum or Kanban Board
  2. Click on the Configure link
  3. Go to the Estimation Tab
  4. Select your own Story Point field (the one used in your Jira issue, not the Greenhopper one)
  5. Your estimations should know be used in Greenhopper.

I hope this helps.

Chris Fontan July 1, 2013

Ok I used the field called "Units" and estimated my stories. How does the burndown work with "Units"?

It states that "Issues will burn down their Units value upon completion." but I am looking at our Sprint 1 with this method and it shows no value for "Units" on the sprint report or velocity report. I look in the issue navigator and I am able to see that the issues do indeed have a value for Units.

Edit** It may be that I went back and added units directly to the issues in sprint 1 and I used the estimation field from within greenhopper on sprint2 (which should map to the Units field).

Suggest an answer