Jira Global Setup

Robin Oswald July 29, 2015

Hi,

We've recently made the shift to JIRA from Manage Engine's Service Desk for our entire IT department which consists of 3 sub departments:

• Service Desk
  • Development
  • Infrastructure

We've had a few teething issues getting this setup to work efficiently within our operations and thought i'd seek some advice to see if any one has got any recommendations for us.

Currently these are the modules we have installed and purchased:

• JIRA Agile - 25 licenses
  • JIRA Service Desk - 5 licenses
  • Insight Asset Management
  • Notification Assistant

Now the way we've tried to configure this is as follows.

JIRA SERVICE DESK

The service desk has been configured with 5 licenses.  This is purely for the SD techs which is where all jobs enter the department.  The web portal has also been configured so that our user base have two options for job logging, email to a central address and also through the portal.  This section works perfectly.

JIRA AGILE

The issues we're facing is that development and infrastructure currently work out of separate projects for their daily tasks.  For arguments sake lets call these projects:

• Development Business As Usual
  • Infrastructure Business As Usual

Currently the Service Desk will work on incoming issues and converse with the customers with the comments function within any issue.  Once the SD have established that either Infrastructure or Development is required, the issue is moved to their business as usual project.

There are several issues with this however as it doesn't appear that this was how it was intended to be used.

Commenting out of the dev and infrastructure queue's to customers is not possible (hence the notification assistant) due to all our user base not being "JIRA Users".

The notifications work ok with this plugin however, the general business staff don't have access to either of these 2 projects, hence cannot view the comments or updates from within the notifications.

Some questions i have:

1. Is there an easy way for us to give a user access to their issues, regardless of which project its in?  I'd like to not have to give everyone read access to the entire DEV and INF projects, as there are issues etc. in there that they should not be privileged to view.
  2. Is there a way to append info to different projects when forwarded to a central email address?  I've tested this with different mail handlers and cannot get it to work.  The SD works fine however, as the mail handler appears to be built into the separate module and is working off this central address also.
  3. Emailing to the generic email address appears to not allow new issues raised in the SD when the user isn't known to Jira.  I've turned of public signup which should auto create the user if not known, this appears to not be working though...
  4. How do you setup different form triggers on a workflow?  I've tried to do it for our custom SD one, to force things like closure notes etc when resolving or completing a case.  I also cannot manage to get this to work.
  5. Should we instead be creating the business as usual queues as SD's for the devs and infrastructure guys?

I'm sure i'll come up with more questions but any help on the above would be appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Robert Dzido
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2015
  1. No, It looks you have some business users who are not your "JIRA users". So authentication will not work and there is no a way to show them non-sd issues.
  2. You can use SD automation and workflow transition to do it. just create a rule to run workflow transition on comment and comment related isses in post function
  3. Can you provide more details on it?
  4. What do you want to do? What do you mean by "different form triggers". You can use post function to transition related issues (e.g. using Workflow PowerBox plugin)
  5. Maybe, but then you need extra SD licenses.

Suggest an answer