Jira Gantt Chart plugin marked an issue to "Over-capacity"

Michel Kogan November 18, 2014

Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 19.47.46.png

As you can see from the image above, I have an epic called "Setting up office environment" , the duration of this task, as you can see in the yellow box, is "3 working days".

The epic contains 3 issues:

1. SW-33: Estimated 2 days 2h 36 minutes and done by me exactly on time.
  2. SW-4: Again, Estimated 2 days 2h 36 minutes and done by my college exactly on time.
  3. SW-14: Estimate as 2 hours and done by me exactly on time.

The point is SW-33 and SW-4 done simultaneity by me and my college together in the same days.

Images are as below, from left: SW-33, SW-4, SW-14

Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 19.53.53.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 19.54.09.png

Screen Shot 2014-11-18 at 19.54.26.png

The problem is that the Gantt-chart plugin marked the epic as "Over-capacity: planned 166% allocated work, current need: 0%", which is wrong . Actually I think its calculated as followings:

((∑Original estimates)/(Duration))*100

In this case

((0.33+2.33+2.33)/(3))*100=166%

Which is wrong, because the task is not over capacity and the epic distributed between 2 people and it can be done in 3 days. Because the two 2.33s in the above calculation were done simulantely , I think it must be calculated as this (it can be rounded or calculated other ways)

((0.33+2.33)/(3))*100

What's wrong ? Is it really the problem ?

4 answers

1 vote
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2014

Fixed within Gantt-Chart pre-v3.1.6, available for download from my server at http://www.polscheit.de/plugins/jira/gantt-chart/gantt-3.1.6-JIRA6.jar: download JAR-file and install it via "upload" button on JIRA's page "manage add-ons" as system admin.

Kind regards,
Frank 

Michel Kogan November 21, 2014

Thanks dear @Frank Polscheit , but it didn't solved the problem, the over-capacity errror still there. What do you suggest ?

1 vote
Frank Polscheit
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2014

Hi Michel,

you're correct: there is no distinction between different assignees, currently. I have placed that topic to be fixed within coming version 3.1.6. As epics are kind of containers of issues possibly belonging to different team members, a single indicator of over-capacity does not really make sense within this context: but per assignee, they are useful.

Kind regards,
Frank

0 votes
Michel Kogan November 19, 2014

Dear @Frank Polscheit,

So many thanks for great support and time you spent on this issue. 

I've updated the module and now it shows Version: 3.1.6-JIRA6 in the Admin panel. But the problem still exists on the gantt chart. (It still shows over capacity for the epic)

I tried reindexing + log-out and log-in but no difference.

What do you suggest? 

0 votes
Michel Kogan November 18, 2014

Dear @Frank Polscheit , I'll be glad if you can answer this question :)

Suggest an answer