Jira - Find tickets where the Epic the ticket is in does not contain the label "Q2_2022"

Lisa April 29, 2022

Hi, I'm looking to create a structure to locate random tickets being included in sprints.  to find this I want to be able to pull in all tickets where the Epic Link ticket does not contain the label Q2_2022.  Please help!

2 answers

0 votes
David Niro
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 2, 2022

Hello @Lisa ,

David from ALM Works here.

I'm not sure there is a way to do exactly what you describe, though I may just need some additional information.   It would be helpful to understand the importance of the Epic Link as it seems the issues linked to Epics have both the Sprint assignment and Labels that we need to build the query needed.

Something like Sprint in (list of sprints) AND labels != Q2_2022

If your goal is to then group these issues by the Epic, you can use a Group Generator to group by the Epic.

If you already have a structure set up that contains all of the issues assigned to a sprint and the goal is to identify the issues with no Q2_2022 label, there are a couple of other options you may want to consider.

The first would be a Quick Transformation.  You can set up a filter like labels != Q2_2022.

The second would be a Formula that will mark those issues without the label and provide an aggregate at the Epic level.  Something like the formula below is an example.

WITH missing_labels = 
IF(labels.ANY($ = "refinement");0;
1):

IF(issuetype != "Epic";missing_labels;
issuetype = "Epic";SUM#children{IF(labels.ANY($ = "refinement");0;
1)})

Please let me know if any of these suggestions helps!

Best,
David

Lisa Pitts Harrell June 6, 2022

Thanks David,

The issue is that people often leave off a sprint or a fix version.  When we plan our quarters we create the epics and label them with that quarter (Q2_2022).  Then, all tickets must have an epic.  So it is important to be able to find tickets based on their epics.  

0 votes
Jimi Wikman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 30, 2022

Something like this:
project = PROJECT AND issuetype = Epic AND labels is not Q2_2022

or

project = PROJECT AND issuetype = Epic AND labels != Q2_2022

I have not tested it, but you can use the filter function in Jira to test the query first.

Suggest an answer