Jira Email log fall in loop

MarcosQ May 4, 2017

Hi, 

I'm having some issue with the incoming mail configuration on a particular project, receiving a large amount of logs every second on the catalina.out 

-The log line is:

2017-05-04 21:04:23,557 atlassian-scheduler-quartz1.clustered_Worker-4 WARN anonymous emailhere@xx.com [atlassian.mail.incoming.ReporterResolvingCreateOrCommentHandler] Received message carrying this JIRA instance fingerprint (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

-Handler Properties

Bulk: delete
CC Assignee: false
CC Watchers: false
Create Users: false
Default Reporter: xxxxx
Notify Users: false
Strip Quotes: false

-On the Mail Handler configuration test I get:
Test Run Results

Summary:

2531 messages read from the server.
10 messages rejected.

Found 2531 message(s) in the /home/xxxxx folder. Only first 10 messages will be processed in test mode.
Message appears to have been sent by JIRA. JIRA's mail handler is configured to forward these messages to avoid mail loops.

This CRITICAL since is affecting the available space on my system.

-INFO:

*Currently running JIRA Server v6.4.9
*Mail handler (Email this issue add-on)
*System message: external mail service (postfix)

Thanks!!

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2017

We see this a lot in JEMH (commercial mail handler for JIRA) but its common to any mail processing system for JIRA.  As the error says, lots of messages have been found but it seems they are 'from' the JIRA instance that is processing the emails, you've got a mail loop.

Mail loops normally happen when a JIRA user who receives email notifications has their personal mailbox used as a feeder mailbox for JIRA, thereby creating a loop.  Variations on this include the times when an 'email distribution group' is set fora  JIRA user, which includes many users AS WELL as the JIRA Mailbox....

Check the recipeints on the email files, they are just text outside the M$ bubble.  Reviwe the problem email TO: addresses versus the mailbox address.

Suggest an answer