Jira Desktop notification wanted

Stefan Immel April 26, 2017

I'm looking for an easy way to get notifications of updates on my Jira issues. Either via a desktop App or via something like the notifications in Chrome: 
Can anybody point me in the right direction? 

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.riadalabs.jira.plugins.notificationassistant/server/overview
Seems to only support mail

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.nebulio.addons.jira.notifications.server.Notifications/server/overview

Seems to only support SMS / Text messages

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.brokenbuild.cloud.notifier/cloud/overview

Only works for Jira Cloud

9 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

26 votes
Pietro Garofalo June 24, 2018

I also do not understand why desktop or native notifications are not something important for Atlassian and its community. It is true that I also would not like to have pops-up for EVERYTHING, but email notification is too old system. Most of email notifications just get lost. Instead, I really would like to have something that can pop up when, for example, a Jira that I am waiting for long time is finally DONE. Especially this can be important when these Jiras are dependencies or things monitored by managers. Even more important than what happens in Jira would be pops up of what DOES NOT happen, for example a Jira task that it has been there since weeks...

Karim Roumani June 23, 2021

I agree. At least "web notifications" through the UI . Asana seems to have all those .

Like # people like this
3 votes
andrew mclagan August 8, 2018

his is a pretty big failing of Atlassian in general - bitbucket and Jira not having notifications

2 votes
peternerd June 5, 2020

any plans to implement notifications? I agree with Shlomi and I think we're not the only ones looking for this kind of feature.

Hopefully someone would see this 😅

Saludos! ✌🏽

barak.bendavid July 17, 2020

Agreed. Today a lot of the com is happenning in Slack BECAUSE people get notified instantly. I would not be surprised if Slack come up with a ticketing system, and then Jira will feel the pain.

Like # people like this
1 vote
akshay.kg March 14, 2021

Do we have a ticket on Atlassian backlog for this already?

0 votes
Lachlan Macnish March 29, 2021

Even though it may have "notifications" in cloud, at least for NextGen these are just under the notifications icon after you open the web page. They're not pop-up notifications. Not in-browser anyway (I can't install a native Jira client on my workstation, and don't really want notifications on my phone). It would be good to utilise the in-browser notifications that are now fairly standard for many apps and sites. Slack isn't an appropriate solution (that shouldn't be prioritised ahead of native notifications because a vast many corporations don't use Slack).

0 votes
Tim Ryner September 15, 2018
It’s not in Jira directly, but if your environment has a Confluence instance linked, you actually get Jira notifications in the Confluence ribbon. 
It’s not great solution, but it’s something...if you have Confluence. 
Kurt Wong May 6, 2019

Well, you'll never be notificated when being assigned to any issue in this way.

0 votes
Georges Moubarak
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2017
Shlomi Asaf December 21, 2017

Why to pay extra for a service that we are already paying for?

Any service in the world has notifications. I dont get why Jira dont offer that...

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2017

Because you're not paying for a service that does desktop notifications.  It's an additional function, provided by other software.

Atlassian don't feel notifications inside the browser end of the application is worth doing (or if it is, it's low down the list), so they haven't done it.

Like Mikołaj Białko likes this

Its totally bizzar to think that notifications for communication inside the app isn't important. 

If notifications were not important, why they notify me by email? Why to notify at all? Why to have several apps open, when you can solve all in 1 single place?

Like # people like this

Regarding the other plugins - i searched and only found good notifications services for Jira Server. For Cloud have found push services, a thing which I have no interest in.

God dammit! why here there are notifications, and on Jira Cloud you got nothing???

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.41.41.png

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2017

Notifications as popups are a pain in the neck for most users, so they're not there.

What you call "notifications" in Community are in Jira, but done as part of the issue, and on people's profiles and on the dashboard - look for "Activity"

KirstenManica December 21, 2017

Lots of fun to log into this morning! It seems that notifications fit onto the same list as other not-fully-ironed-out things, greatly because the users and their needs are still so varied. And we're all pretty sure that everyone else's needs must be the same as ours :) Subconsciously of course. 

As a Communications Girl, I will never rest on my laurels thinking that things will be delivered to me in the manner that I myself would send it,, I just keep a watch on the variety that's out there for all the projects and people that are important to me. Just when I like one version it will shift as it is  :D

I always appreciate your manner, Nic. 

Shlomi ~ keep speaking what you need, that's the only way we all know to consider changes. 

Like # people like this
foldeslaszlo March 10, 2020

If Atlassian "don't feel notifications inside the browser end of the application is worth doing (or if it is, it's low down the list), so they haven't done it." then why it is implemented in Confluence. I mean, we have Jira and Confluence installed, and connected, and Confluence shows if something is happened in Jira.

So if I want to read notifications on Jira, instead of reading emails, I go to Confluence.

And this is not professional. (hint: the same notification feature could be very well implemented in Jira).

Like barak.bendavid likes this
barak.bendavid July 17, 2020

A lot of the communication happens in Slack BECAUSE of the instant notifications.
Jira will feel the pain as Slack  expands into more fields.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2020

Slack is one of the main ways Atlassian now does notifications.

Atlassian and Slack have been significant partners since Atlassian gave the IP for hipchat and stride to Slack.

I think you might want to have a looks at that.

karatedog July 20, 2020

There is no excuse not doing notifications inside an application which is about constant changes. And Jira Cloud HAS notification feature (although very clumsy) only the Server version misses this feature.

Just to clarify the situation (because it seems a few people does not understand it). If I go on a holiday, and come back a week later to work and open up Jira, I have no way to figure out what happened in the past week. Nothing (Project manager, anyone?). I have to read emails, or read Slack messages or any other external tool. I have no way to filter messages to those that changed states only. I have to read every notification on every comment. I have no way to group messages regarding certain tickets.

Like Matthias Bergmann likes this
0 votes
KirstenManica June 26, 2017

Hi Stefan, 

I assume that you want more than the notifications that you can configure to receive to your email account? I set the notifications within JIRA, with the noise-level that I want, to notify me of certain activities on any given Issue. 

The 2 places I make changes are

• in the top gear, "JIRA ADMINISTRATION", sub category of "Issues", then left tab of "Notification schemes"
  • within a project, in the settings, left gear, sub category of "Notifications". 

K

Hi Kirsten. What about Desktop or in app notifications?

Like # people like this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question